Amp thuds when turned on and off fast - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th November 2007, 08:31 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Amp thuds when turned on and off fast

If my amp is on then you cycle the key off then right back on it puts out a very large thud into my subs. Would this be caused by capacitors being bad in the amp? And its only my subwoofer amp doing this not any of my speaker amps.
Old 6th November 2007, 11:03 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

If the remote turn-on for the amp is switched with the key (as it should be), there's something wrong with the muting circuit in the amplifier.
Old 6th November 2007, 11:26 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Perry, but if i wait about 3 seconds before re cycling the key it does not make any noise. The amp is the audiobahn A18001DT amp that I fixed and has done this ever since I have owned it. If it is the muting circuit were do I look?
Old 6th November 2007, 11:47 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The muting circuit has a delay that's determined by a capacitor and a resistor. When the voltage on the capacitor reaches a certain point (2.5v?), the muting is defeated and the driver board switches on.

To engage the muting quickly when the amp is switched off, the the capacitor is discharged through a diode.

For some reason, yours doesn't seem to be discharging quickly enough. There could be several reasons.

Since these amps typically have a long turn on delay, I'm guessing that this only happens when you're listening to it with the engine off and then quickly go from acc to start while the amp is on. If that's the case, I'd suggest leaving as it is. There's a chance to do much more damage if you make a mistake while working on the amp.
Old 7th November 2007, 12:37 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

If you say leave it I will but is it bad for my subs and or amp to have that happen?
Old 7th November 2007, 02:57 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

It depends on how bad the thump is.

If it only does it after you've been listening to it with the engine off, turn the key from acc to off and wait 3 seconds before starting the engine.

Hide this!Advertise here!