Mysterious Rockford amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th November 2007, 10:29 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DigitalJunkie
Default Mysterious Rockford amp

Hey guys,

Got a Rockford Fosgate Punch 100a2 amp. (25Wx2 4ohms,and 50Wx2 at 2ohms.)

I opened it up to check it out after a recent drop,and all seems fine,and the amp works okay...
While it was open,I noticed that the SMPS FET's have been replaced,and a small jumper added,to replace a fried trace..
No biggie,the repair work looks good,and the amp works,so.
The filter caps (post-SMPS) are rather small though,at 330uf each. (I'm thinking it'll replace them with some 1000uf caps.)

Also,I noticed that the SMPS transformer has a sticker around it,with the writing "2032A 100.2 cbs(at)theriver.com"

Is this some kind of replacment/aftermarket/custom transformer? (maybe the old one shorted,and fried the original FET's?)

The output transistors/FET's (haven't taken the mounting clamp off to check the PN's yet.) appear stock,with the factory (wave?) soldering,so they haven't been replaced or fiddled with... just the SMPS FET's..

I was just pondering,maybe some of this gives a clue as to who fixed it previously? (Whoever you are,it's still working just fine,good job!)

One last question,Since this amp says it's okay to run 2ohm stereo,I would assume a 4ohm load,bridged,would be okay?
Old 5th November 2007, 11:37 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I've seen those bands on several amps. I have some photos of a 100a2 with the band around the transformer (can't read it from the angle though). The connections on the transformers looked like they were flow soldered so I believe they were OEM.

4 ohms bridged is a safe load.

Hide this!Advertise here!