Where to find a decent somewhat inexpensive DMM? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th November 2007, 02:00 AM   #11
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

For a newbe I'd say looking for features like auto ranging is more important, as it will make his life a lot easier.

My inner snob keeps yelling Fluke though

Magura
Old 4th November 2007, 02:15 AM   #12
ppia600 is offline ppia600  United States
diyAudio Member

Just get a tenma from mcm electronics. My current one cost about $25. They are very cheap for the features and very durable. The only problem I have with mine are the leads wearing out in a matter of months, but I do throw them into my tool bag several times a day and wrap the leads around it at light speed.
The last meters I had before the tenma were caltek and also from mcm. I never had any problems with those either, besides the leads. I think those were about $12 a piece. I ran over one with a customer's car and it broke the lcd. The other I gave to a fellow worker when a customer never returned his.

cliffnote

tenma = cheap and reliable = available from mcm electronics
Old 4th November 2007, 03:16 AM   #13
spooney is offline spooney  United States
diyAudio Member

those tenmas do seem to offer a lot for the money.If I can't get a good deal on a fluke i'll probably go with one of those.
Old 4th November 2007, 03:16 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DigitalJunkie
I had a gift certificate for Amazon,and used it to get one of These

So far it seems like a pretty decent meter,with some useful features,and it won't break the bank.

Edit:
Just compared it with a couple of my other meters,they're all pretty darn close,as far as voltage and resistance goes..
Old 4th November 2007, 03:50 AM   #15
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Accuracy is one thing. It maybe required or not. But auto ranging, sturdy built, quick response with no hang ups, plus a good capacitance and AC frequency range, memo, peak hold, auto off, and a back lit display, do make a really useful DMM. A Fluke or not, look for the above set of futures. Example.
Old 5th November 2007, 07:42 AM   #16
Clipped is offline Clipped  Thailand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Clipped
i really recommend getting a fluke 110 series, this guy can do almost everything...but they stopped making it, i think because they started to realize it gave too much for the money.

1. diode check
2. capacitance
3. frequency
4. true rms
5. accurate auto ranging
6. bar graph display to display pulses more easily

it has features that most at this price range do not...only thing i wish it had was a backlight.

whatever you decide, make sure it has diode check,

also try and see if its magnetically shielded, ive killed a few by leaving them next to subs, never affected my fluke 110.
Old 5th November 2007, 12:22 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Sorry to be high-priced, but I recommend Fluke. Of all the other DMM's I have used, none match up for the price. You don't have to go for the 87 series (the best, IMO), but the number of digits and accuracy do come in handy when you are trying to trace out currents by measuring voltage across resistors, adding them up. Get a low res meter, and you're lucky to get that extra digit that you need.

If all you ever want to do is measure B+, then get a $20 meter. If you plan on measuring voltage across cathode resistors, go Fluke.

If you want two meters, then the second one could be $20. But not the first one.

eBay certainly offers many flavors for a decent price.

Hide this!Advertise here!