10" shallow car subwoofers.. trying to decide

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm putting shallow subs in my passenger side panels and would like any opinions on these subs. The lowest power handling set is made by pioneer. The rest are all 300watts rms and above. I'm not going by their posted sensitivity ratings because depending on my box design, that could be out the window. These are the brands I'm deciding between:

Pioneer shallow - TS-SW1041D

Kenwood excelon - KFC-XW1000F

Sony - XS-L10S
(A couple of shop owners in TX told me people love these)

Clarion - SFW-1051

I'm not considering the kickers, even with their good power handling I don't like the just squished look or the fact that the speaker terminals sometimes have problems with shorting to the basket. I also won't be using the fosgate or kole brands. If you have had any good experiences with the four woofers or know of people who have please let me know. I'd also like to know of any problems you've heard about with them. The way these will be mounted, I will have to remove the entire back seat and rear side panels just to access the woofers. I'm trying to find woofers with good excursion capability, don't want any ripped spiders.:smash:

10" shallow models...

Hi there,

Car Audio and Electronics did a review on the Clarion, the Pioneer and the Kenwood in recent issues. Their opinion is that the Clarion rocks, the Pioneer works for "boom-boom" only, and the Kenwood is somewhere in between.

You might also want to check out the new JL Audio thin line subs... only 2.5" deep. I don't think they're available just yet, but something to drool over...

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/jlaudio_pages.php?page_id=213

I'm not a real JL fan, but I'll definately check them out if/when they become available. (just checked their site, 12" and 13.5" are their proposed sizes) A friend sells JL, so I would probably be able to get them at their cost, but I don't have room for a 12" diameter speaker so I'll have to use a 10. Which clarion did CA&E check? Was the more expensive aluminum frame version or the cheaper steel frame type? They make two versions of each size..

Here's the link to the article online...

http://www.caraudiomag.com/testreports/0701_cae_clarion_and_pioneer_subwoofer/index.html

I *love* my JL Audio sub... in fact, I've loved all of my JL Audio subs. Back in the late 80s, I had a system with a pair of 10W1s on a RF Punch DSM amp. About 5 years ago, I had a pair of 8IBs installed in the rear deck of my Audi A4 on a Macintosh MC440. Now, I have a single 12w3v3 on a JL Audio 500/1.

Of course, YMMV on the new subs, but I'm sure they will be pretty awesome...

smiles,
Jamie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.