Digital Audio Source Mobile - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th October 2007, 06:38 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb Digital Audio Source Mobile

Hi all. I'm a new member who has replied to several posts, but this is my first original post, and some might say it's a bold one...

I decided to build a really nice car stereo system in my Saturn Wagon, but did not want to remove the stock stereo/spkrs.

Maybe pictures will be forcoming when I take some pretty soon, so use your imaginations:
>three amps mounted to the rear of the back seat in the cargo compartment.
>MA Audio 2x10" sub box
>Pair of Partsexpress.com BR-1 reference box (yes) speakers
>Pyramid Tweeters dash mounted
>Pyramid 2-ways diy enclosure dash mounted
>Dayton swivel-mount 2-way boxes
>L-Pads as necessary to balance it all out

My audio source? Digital. Creative Zen M 30 gb player with the cd's ripped Win Media Player at 160 k, then sync'd to Zen.

Before you begin to howl, folks have listened and pronounced the sound very excellent. I think it's nice too. Plus, having 300+ "cd's" in my car at all times is handy.

But it COULD be better; hence the reason for this post. I'd really love to hear your advised opinions on a project that I expect to undertake:

>Rip cd's to computer using Win Media "Lossless' (470k)
>Rip said cd's to battery-powered portable hard drive of adequate capacity to hold, say 400 cd's (est 160 gb)
>Somehow, run the hard disk to a D/A converter of adequate (but affordable) quality to get the music out of it...
>Some sort of tone control - preferably not an eqalizer that would take up half of the dashboard...

Or is there already a digital music player that could go mobile and still meet requirements for really good sound and high storage capacity? I haven't found one.

OK, I let it all hang out. Whaddaya think? Bdog
Old 30th October 2007, 07:00 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Why not a PC. http://mp3car.com/ has lots of information. The PCs are small enough to fit under the seat. You can have all of the features you have on a normal PC. They even have touch screens and operating systems specifically written/modified for this application.
Old 31st October 2007, 01:03 AM   #3
ppia600 is offline ppia600  United States
diyAudio Member

Carputer

Hide this!Advertise here!