Nakamichi request

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I did search couldnt see anything that answered my q, in my car i have a set of Nakamichi SP-10 tweeters and a PC-100 passive crossover, old school stuff!

I was wondering if firstly anyone has any SP-50 5.25" mid/woofer speakers for sale? and secondly if not (which im expecting), what manufacturer/models work best with the sound of nakamichi?

Thanks for your attention

Si

SiCaln said:
he wants around bout 550 Aus for em, dno if i can stretch to that

Wow...that comes out to be about $505 USD. Are they new?
For that price, you can almost buy a whole new set of high end comps from companies like Dynaudio, Seas, Focal!

I have been researching SP-50 driver replacements for a while and this is the closest I came up with in terms of a driver having similar specs. And it's way way cheaper.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=295-370

MadMutt said:

So why not take them elsewhere and ask to see their work and have a chat with them about how you want them done ?
Surely even several refoams is going to work somewhat cheaper than replacing them ?

How can I take them else where when the job is already done. I don' t know about where you are but there are very few shops that actually does this kind of service. I tried calling a few local shops and they do not work on this kind of speaker. Seems the ones local to me only repair bigger name brands like JBL, Infinity, Cerwin, etc.. So I just mailed the speaker to one of the bigger speaker repair houses in California for the job. The speakers have now been reinstalled and they play fine. Though I still would like an extra set of drivers which "may" be as good or better. If I ever have more issues with this SP-50s, I'll probably start experiementing with brand new drivers from other makes like Dayton, Seas, Focal, MB Quart. Surely some of those should blend pretty well.

vafan said:
How can I take them else where when the job is already done.

Easily. I mean if you not happy about the way it was done, I see nothing stopping you from getting it done again.

vafan said:
I don' t know about where you are but there are very few shops that actually does this kind of service. I tried calling a few local shops and they do not work on this kind of speaker. Seems the ones local to me only repair bigger name brands like JBL, Infinity, Cerwin, etc..

I think we have maybe two people in our state that do refoams, so no real difference there.
With the exception that I know one of them fairly well, and when he does a refoam he does it properly.
Sounds more like they couldn't be bothered.
Not a suprise really these days. Very sad state of affairs.

vafan said:
The speakers have now been reinstalled and they play fine. Though I still would like an extra set of drivers which "may" be as good or better. If I ever have more issues with this SP-50s, I'll probably start experiementing with brand new drivers from other makes like Dayton, Seas, Focal, MB Quart. Surely some of those should blend pretty well.

Nothing wrong with a spare set.
Maybe send this alex minassian an email and see if he can suggest a possible replacement ?
Maybe see what he'd charge to refoam them ?
I know you'd have to add in freight, but it could be worth it.
Could always go for an active system.
That way you can mix and match and adjust till the moo's come home.
I'd also look at ADS and AVI.

Could always go for an active system.
That way you can mix and match and adjust till the moo's come home.
I'd also look at ADS and AVI.

Since they are playing fine now, I'm just going to leave them alone until it's time for something new. Yes, my next step is to move to an active system so I can try all the various drivers for the DIY market.

SiCaln, check out Ebay #140174477775. A complete Nak setup for about $330 USD.

SiCaln said:
cheers bud,

yea i saw these, but they rnt as good as the sp50s as they were designed to run with my existing setup ill keep watching ebay and yahoo

thanks again

According to the auction description, it says "****Nakamichi SPS-501 Modified Version....Same As Nakamichi SP50s plus SP5****"

To me, it looks like the same SP50 mid plus the SP5 tweeter combo and a whole new crossover.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.