Soundstream Amplifers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th October 2007, 01:06 PM   #1
Flyin11 is offline Flyin11  United States
diyAudio Member

Question Soundstream Amplifers

So, I'm looking around at some Soundstream amplifiers and found this one, a Soundstream MA340.2 (I know it's a marine amplifier but you can still use it in your car...only difference is it's treated to last longer in extreme conditions):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-S...spagenameZWDVW

It says wattage specs are this:

2 Channel marine amplifier
85 watts RMS x 2ch at 4ohm
170 watts RMS x 2ch at 2ohm
340 watts RMS x 1ch at 4ohm (bridged)

Looking for it to push my 2 12" punch subs in 4ohm parallel mode with 340watts of power. I love the dimensions: (L x W x D): 8.7 x 2 x 8.8 inches and the fuse is only 25amps which is either the same or 5amps more than I have in my PPI right now. Question is this...Not so sure how good the sound and power would be from Soundstream on this? Can it really produce that much wattage out of a small sized amp like this??

Also maybe looking at a Soundstream XTA360.2....
Old 19th October 2007, 02:16 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Unless I'm mistaken, Soundstream, which is not the same as old school Soundstream, is one of dozens and dozens of "cookie cutter" brands of amps made in build houses in Asia. Nothing special.
Old 19th October 2007, 03:56 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

25 amps times say 12 volts = 300 watts power DRAW on the 12 volt side.
So my point is how do you get 340watts out of a amp that only has 300 watts going in, and is no way 100% efficient . I say 180 watts tops at 25 amps current draw out to your dual 12 inch Punch woofers.

SoundStream has not quite been the same since going overseas.

Maybe if you buy two of them, one for each woofer,,, hummmm just thinking out loud...
Old 19th October 2007, 07:05 PM   #4
Flyin11 is offline Flyin11  United States
diyAudio Member

2 amps per each speaker wouldn't work too good with a 8ohm load but I hear ya on that one

I guess this is kind of a stupid question but I guess a better way to judge a good amp then is by the amperage of it's fuses? Like say a amp says it can do 400watts in a bridged mode (MA Audio) and has a fuse of 30amps and a MTX amp says it can do 300 in a bridged mode and had 2 20amps fuses for a total of 40amps...The MTX would be a better amp to go for (of course, brand name and all but we are looking at the fuses amperage here)?
Old 19th October 2007, 10:22 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Flyin11
2 amps per each speaker wouldn't work too good with a 8ohm load but I hear ya on that one

I guess this is kind of a stupid question but I guess a better way to judge a good amp then is by the amperage of it's fuses? Like say a amp says it can do 400watts in a bridged mode (MA Audio) and has a fuse of 30amps and a MTX amp says it can do 300 in a bridged mode and had 2 20amps fuses for a total of 40amps...The MTX would be a better amp to go for (of course, brand name and all but we are looking at the fuses amperage here)?
I believe what you mean here instead of "good amp" or "better amp" is maybe better suited for your intended use because of fuse rating. Judging the quality of an amp by the fuse rating is a mistake. What you are mentioning here simply is a case of one amp being more realistically rated than the other.

Hide this!Advertise here!