PPI 500IX. sounds like **** need to make a SIP?? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th October 2007, 04:51 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default PPI 500IX. sounds like **** need to make a SIP??

What I had for years was older kicker subs with my 50x2 PPI amp. I upgraded a bit with a pair of Kicker L5 10s and running them in stereo from my 500IX. The 500 is rated at 250wpc at 4ohms and I think around 400wpc at 2. I am down firing these with only around 1in if space in front of the cone. Just no room!!!

What my problems are is it would seem I cannot get the upper frequencies out of the subs. Obviously the 500 does not have an adjustable Xover but a SIP chip and I think the factory sets them at 90hz. I have tried everything and right now I am using my Kenwood excelon to X the frequencies for the subs but that sounds bad too. I am not sure what the slope on the head unit is but the amp is 12db.

I am wondering if there is info out there to fab a lower frequency chip or if that is even my problem? I did try the 500 amp with my old subs and had the same problem. Just toooo much in the 500-1500hz range. I would rather keep the amp if I can make it work. I realize an electronic Xover will do it but resistors are 5 cents and easy. I am also wondering if there is something else I need to check? The box volume should be very close to spec.

I included a pic of the bottom of the box for reference. Thanks
Old 16th October 2007, 05:09 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

The SIP network is likely 4 isolated resistors. Measure the resistance from the end pin to the second pin (with the network removed from the amp). That's the value of each resistor. You can confirm that the resistors are isolated by measuring the resistance between the 2nd and 3rd pins. There should be no continuity.

It's likely you'll have to go up in resistance to lower the frequency. It would be nice if someone could dig up an old PPI manual with all of the values for the various frequencies.

Don't power up the amp with the network removed. It shouldn't do any harm but some circuits are unstable when components are missing.
Old 16th October 2007, 11:28 AM   #3
Flyin11 is offline Flyin11  United States
diyAudio Member

I have a old manual to my 100ix but it's at home at the moment so I wouldn't be able to post the specs or pic until I get home later tonight
Old 16th October 2007, 03:24 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I have the manual. They only give the "sip value" in relation to the frequency. I guess if I knew the actual resistance, that would be nice.

Hide this!Advertise here!