Is there a way to reduce brightness of a speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a set of Soundstream 6x9's I just installed running off an MTX 4244 4 channel amp bridged stereo. They are 120w speakers. They are just too bright for my tastes. Is there anything I can do to tame the tweeters a little bit? They are extremly lound and sound good just too bright and I already have the tone control down a little from 0. I don't want to just turn down the tone because it affects the front separates as well and they sound good where they are. Can I put a cap or something just on the tweeters of the 6x9's? Or fatten the drivers up some to counter the brightness.

thanks

If the tweeter has a cap on it already, you may be able to replace it with a smaller cap. This may not be the technically perfect answer but I think it would achieve what you are asking. This could also be done by adding a small resistor in series but try the capacitor first IMO.... the effect is different.

If the tweeter does not have a cap, it may be a piezo tweeter. Adding a cap will also work but in a different way. You would want to measure the tweeter with a capacitance meter first, then add a capacitance in series that is (for starters) maybe twice that value.

Turn the darkness up!

Really, is it possible to disconnect the tweaters leads that connect to the woofer leads and go bi-amp? I used a 4 channel amp to do this, it helps when dialing in a xover frequency also gains can be upped or downed to blend better. If your going to mess with the caps maybe going bi-amped would be preferable.

L-pads could be installed if your going to take a soldering iron to them. Might be a better bet than taking away the xover set by the caps???

iUSERTLO72p:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.