Choosing a amplifier - What's in a name? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th October 2007, 06:48 PM   #1
Flyin11 is offline Flyin11  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Choosing a amplifier - What's in a name?

Just been looking and searching around and just thought to myself, what is the true difference between a Rockford Fosgate or MTX amp and say a MA Audio or a Profile? Is it all in the name? Does MA Audio and Profile use cheaper parts?

I mean...I have seen some great prices on MA Audio amps and one had a clear cover that I saw and everything inside looked no different than any other amp I have ever seen.
Old 11th October 2007, 06:32 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Flyin11 wrote
Quote:
...and one had a clear cover that I saw and everything inside looked no different than any other amp I have ever seen.
This question/statement contains all the questions that have not been answered till date.

If the gurus here start to answer u, u will begin to understand why this forum has so much views (and members) for sure. But i am not sure your mystery will be solved.

e.g.
All the ps filter capacitors will look the same. The cheap one costs 1/20th of the good ones and so is the sound, although not in same proportions (no measure exists).

Gajanan Phadte
Old 11th October 2007, 07:21 AM   #3
BHTX is offline BHTX  United States
diyAudio Member

gmphadte is right. You won't receive a definite answer to your question.

When it comes to car audio amplification, I normally just stick with the special stuff with a really good reputation. For example, you can get some really good deals on some of the extraordinary old school amplifiers on eBay and such, like USAmps, Zapco, Arc Audio, a/d/s/, etc etc. And anything that you can verify as being originally designed by Zed Audio should be very good. It'll have a different name on it though, and used, and won't appear to be anything special on the outside. Just stick with the good stuff, and you'll be fine. That's my answer, simply because it's what I do.
Old 11th October 2007, 07:51 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to junglejuice
Quote:
Originally posted by BHTX
gmphadte is right. You won't receive a definite answer to your question.

When it comes to car audio amplification, I normally just stick with the special stuff with a really good reputation. For example, you can get some really good deals on some of the extraordinary old school amplifiers on eBay and such, like USAmps, Zapco, Arc Audio, a/d/s/, etc etc. And anything that you can verify as being originally designed by Zed Audio should be very good. It'll have a different name on it though, and used, and won't appear to be anything special on the outside. Just stick with the good stuff, and you'll be fine. That's my answer, simply because it's what I do.

I would second that and there are plenty of names that can go into the list of good amps, Rockford, Orion, PPI, Soundstream, Alpine there are lots of good gear around especially the older plainer looking units....
Old 12th October 2007, 12:23 PM   #5
bega_83 is offline bega_83  Bosnia and Herzegovina
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bega_83
i agree with bhtx and junglejuice... stick to the stuf that works... i didn't see kenwood or magnat on the list there btw, and those proved to be great amps... at least to me. especially those with no wattage labels on 'em. Or just try to compare them on same speaker system you have. you'll know what i'm talking about.
Old 25th October 2007, 03:20 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I'm thinking of some names like this:

Reputation, Reliability, and quality (In no order):

Rockford
PPI
Kicker
MTX
Boston Acoustics
JL Audio
Sony
Kenwood
Alpine
Pioneer
Infinity
Clarion
JBL

I know to stay away from cheap brands like Pyle, Phoenix Gold, Legacy, Soundstorm, Soundstream (Newer models), Bazooka, Visonik, and ones like that. I think I'm also going to stay away from Orion (From what I remember they are like Radio Shack brand). Seen some great reviews on MA Audio and what about Crunch (Not sure but might be looking at one)? Are Crunch amps like a cheapy brand as well?

Not sure on Eclipse and Profile amps...
Old 25th October 2007, 09:00 PM   #7
spooney is offline spooney  United States
diyAudio Member

Phoenix gold is cheap?are you serious?They make some of the best amps there is. You must have confused them with Phoenix digital
Old 25th October 2007, 10:20 PM   #8
ppia600 is offline ppia600  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Flyin11
I'm thinking of some names like this:

Reputation, Reliability, and quality (In no order):

Rockford
PPI
Kicker
MTX
Boston Acoustics
JL Audio
Sony
Kenwood
Alpine
Pioneer
Infinity
Clarion - Ok, not great
JBL

I know to stay away from cheap brands like Pyle, Phoenix Gold, Legacy, Soundstorm, Soundstream (Newer models), Bazooka, Visonik, and ones like that. I think I'm also going to stay away from Orion (From what I remember they are like Radio Shack brand). Seen some great reviews on MA Audio and what about Crunch (Not sure but might be looking at one)? Are Crunch amps like a cheapy brand as well?

Not sure on Eclipse and Profile amps...
Phoenix Gold (original US made) - AWESOME
PPI (original US made) - AWESOME
Orion (original US made) - AWESOME
Kicker (original US made) - Great sq, AWESOME power
MTX (original US made) - Great sq, AWESOME power
JBL (original US made) - Great sq, Great power
Rockford Fosgate (Original US made) - Great sq, AWESOME power

(see the pattern here?)

Pioneer - pretty good
Infinity -pretty good
Eclipse - Great
Sony - Pretty good
Kenwood - (up to early 90's) - Awesome, Now - just ok
Pyle (up to early 90's) - pretty good, Now - junk
Alpine (up to early 90's) - AWESOME, now - some good/ some ok

Opinions vary
Old 26th October 2007, 01:41 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spooney
Phoenix gold is cheap?are you serious?They make some of the best amps there is. You must have confused them with Phoenix digital
Sorry...I got them mixed up with Pyramid...I remember being able to just go up to a side stand inside a mall here back in the day and purchase anything Pyramid and they were total junk!! I tried a powered EQ back then I have never had any experience with Phoenix Gold amps but I did use their power and ground wires so I guess that speaks for something respectable If they have good wiring, might be the same for their amps I apologize...Got them mixed up
Old 26th October 2007, 02:07 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

PG a cheap name Thats a good one I needed a good laugh today thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!