Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th October 2007, 03:06 AM   #1
spooney is offline spooney  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Jl audio 500/1 Transistor clamps

I managed to get the clamps off of the transistors but i'll be damned if i can get them back on. Does anybody maybe have a trick for doing this?
Old 5th October 2007, 04:38 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I use a beater pair of needle nose pliers to pull them off by inserting one plier tip inside the clamp < middle hole> and them clamping the plier and pulling straight away from the sink surface.
This causes the loaded section of the spring clip to flex and release. I figured this out by mangling a few till it dawned on me that I was going about it the wrong way .

I finger load them back in and using a beater 4 MM hand tool I gently tap the clip right back into its position, by tapping gently at a 45 degree angle to the fold over or the outside bend.

This works for me, I do NO damage, and its all over and done in a matter of moments.

I am sure there is a real tool for this somewhere out there in the real world, but I have yet to find it in any of the tool suppliers catalogs.

If you ever find this tool please let me know.... I am sure its instructions are either Korean or Chinese lol lol lol
Old 5th October 2007, 08:36 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

To remove the clamps, it's easy if you make one of the tools below. The first is simply a bent screwdriver ground to fit the slot. The second image is a cotter key remover (recommended by a friend). The third photo shows how he ground it to make it more user friendly. The last photo shows the 'tool' I use to replace the clamps. The rubber insert (insulation off of a piece of wire) helps to keep it from sliding. Use this with a small hammer (or pair of crimping pliers as a hammer) to gently tap the clamps back into place.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 10th April 2012, 03:22 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

thanks Perry for this post, although a bit old, it really helped me finding a way to remove these clamps and putting back in ...tried google and directs me here
Old 21st June 2012, 10:37 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I tried your method above and still can't seem to get them off. I have a hifonics brutus bxi2010D
Old 21st June 2012, 11:21 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZarazuaT View Post
I tried your method above and still can't seem to get them off. I have a hifonics brutus bxi2010D
This style of pliers works the best for me. Insert only one jaw and push down. It will feel like you are breaking them. It helps to turn it right or left when prying to get one side started.

Old 22nd June 2012, 12:25 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Using the tools shown in the post for the JL amp, they clips generally pop off effortlessly. The only time that there is a problem is when the groove in the heatsink isn't properly designed for the clips and the manufacturer has to drive them in too deeply to make them hold properly.

The following clip shows how to remove them. If it doesn't work properly in your browser, right-click and save to your hard drive then open the file with the software that you normally use to view videos.
http://www.bcae1.com/temp/removingspringclamps01.avi
Old 6th November 2012, 03:45 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Man this post would have been so helpful an hour or so ago but I still have another amp to do so I'm glad I know. Thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!