Jl audio 500/1 Transistor clamps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
:) :) :) I use a beater pair of needle nose pliers to pull them off by inserting one plier tip inside the clamp < middle hole> and them clamping the plier and pulling straight away from the sink surface.
This causes the loaded section of the spring clip to flex and release. I figured this out by mangling a few till it dawned on me that I was going about it the wrong way:whazzat: :whazzat: :whazzat: .

I finger load them back in and using a beater 4 MM hand tool I gently tap the clip right back into its position, by tapping gently at a 45 degree angle to the fold over or the outside bend.

This works for me, I do NO damage, and its all over and done in a matter of moments.

I am sure there is a real tool for this somewhere out there in the real world, but I have yet to find it in any of the tool suppliers catalogs.:smash:

If you ever find this tool please let me know....:) I am sure its instructions are either Korean or Chinese lol lol lol

To remove the clamps, it's easy if you make one of the tools below. The first is simply a bent screwdriver ground to fit the slot. The second image is a cotter key remover (recommended by a friend). The third photo shows how he ground it to make it more user friendly. The last photo shows the 'tool' I use to replace the clamps. The rubber insert (insulation off of a piece of wire) helps to keep it from sliding. Use this with a small hammer (or pair of crimping pliers as a hammer) to gently tap the clamps back into place.

daspringclampremoval02.jpg

hooktool01b.jpg

dahooktoolground01.jpg

daspringclampreplacement01.jpg

I tried your method above and still can't seem to get them off. I have a hifonics brutus bxi2010D

This style of pliers works the best for me. Insert only one jaw and push down. It will feel like you are breaking them. It helps to turn it right or left when prying to get one side started.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Using the tools shown in the post for the JL amp, they clips generally pop off effortlessly. The only time that there is a problem is when the groove in the heatsink isn't properly designed for the clips and the manufacturer has to drive them in too deeply to make them hold properly.

The following clip shows how to remove them. If it doesn't work properly in your browser, right-click and save to your hard drive then open the file with the software that you normally use to view videos.
http://www.bcae1.com/temp/removingspringclamps01.avi

Holy back from the dead... :)

Sometimes if you use too much force or the clip gets too hot they will get damaged/distorted/brittle and break. Its just one of those things that happens sometimes.

The best way for me is as previously mentioned. I press them into place then use a hardened punch (can use other things) and small hammer to lightly tap them into place. Again, some of them are damaged upon removal (notice it or not) and sometimes they will break when reinstalling them. It happens, especially if they were a pain to get off in the first place.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.