Need some help on speaker config

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok started thinking about what I have and what I may get.

1) I have an amp that currently runs 6x9's w/mids. This amp is 4 ohm stable.

2) I also have a truck box with each compartment having 1 sub and 1 tweeter. They are currently wired in parallel.

How does a tweeter affect ohm values? The tweeter says 4-8 ohm impedance. If I leave the current config for the truck box will the total impedance be 2 ohms or 4 ohms (sort of confused on this since they say tweet are dynamic)?

Since I am in the market for a new amp to run the subs - should I focus on the 2 ohm aspect which gets you more power, or is it a moot point with the tweeter in parallel, and just look at the 4 ohm values?

If the tweeter does not affect overall ohms could I wire the tweeter to my 6x9's in such a way that I will not blow the amp (amp is 4 ohm stable)?

Thanks!

Its a two channel amp so I assume its 4 ohm stereo stable. I was talking to someone about this and they said since tweets draw very little system power, that if I wire the 6x9's and the tweets in parallel that the difference would be so minor that the amp would still operate. Is this correct? Thanks!

with the way your diagram is layed out, you would be running eveything in mono.

id go with stereo left and right and wire a 6 x9 and a tweeter in parrallel for each channel.

wire to the 6x9 first, then to the tweeter.

2 x 2 ohm stereo is the same as 4 ohm mono.

technically it would represent a 2 ohm load per channel....but the current draw of the tweeters is low enough that it is usually negligible...except in the case of some piezo tweeters.

experiment with different values for the capacitor values for the tweeters also: 2.2uf, 3.3uf, 4.7uf, 5.5uf, 6.7uf

Thanks! What happens if I run the config in parallel but put the tweeter first? The reason I ask is that the 6x9's are at the back of the cab and I was going to install the tweets in the dash.

One more question, any ideas how to plug the tweet holes in the truck box? I'm just going to run the subs. I was thinking to just cut a piece of wood slightly larger than the hole, and glue/seal it in place. Thanks.

Oh, and how much polyfill should I initially start with? The box is slightly smaller than the specs for the new subs and I don't really feel making a new one. Thanks again!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.