Mixing max wattages

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If I have a truck box with two subs and tweeters and the sub RMS is around 300 watts (600 peak) and it is wired in parallel with a tweeter which has an RMS around 150 watts, what is the max size amp I can get?

Would I add the two RMS together for around 450 watts? Or am I confined to an amp that only produces up to 150 watts RMS? Thanks!!!

Using passive crossovers for the tweeters will limit the frequency range the tweeters recieve, and also the wattage. You can build your own or just buy some. They aren't difficult to build, but they can get expensive if you use premium parts like foil inductors and mylar capacitors. I have a book that has the formulas for determining frequency/cutoff slopes but don't know where it is. Someone here surely knows them by heart.

Well thats how the truck box came. I have a seperate amp running 6x9's with mids, but the amp is only 4ohm stable. I would have used that amp to run the tweets but I don't think it will work. Unless someone has a different idea. I guess what I could do is run a line out of the "out" rca jacks on the main amp for the subs, and just power the tweets off of the HU, not sure how that would sound.

Oh and the tweet does have a capacitor to limit frequency. If the wattage exceeded the tweet would the cap blow first? Thanks!

If i was in your place i would cut the tweeters and just go for the subs with an amplifier that has build in active LP crossovers.. If you already have 6x9s you should try to integrate the sub to play along with them. That's my thougts anyway.

best regards!
bose

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.