Tweaking a system - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd October 2007, 02:09 AM   #11
Clipped is offline Clipped  Thailand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Clipped
one thing you can try is to reverse the polarity of the subs....reverse the negative and positive wires at the amp....it will either sound better or worse...and may blend better with the mids, making the bass 'appear' to be tighter.

if you want to try a sealed box, cover up the port and make sure it is sealed completely.

try facing the box forward and moving the box all the way to the back...good for spl in most rides, if you can fold down the rear seats even better...or take out the rear speakers.

most cars ive made boxes for always sounded better with the port on the side....when facing backwards that is.
-----------------------------------------------
for a sealed box, the best location ive found is to make two seperate boxes set all the way in the back and facing towards each other, about 16" apart...great for SQ...blends in really good with mids.

for sealed spl...sub way in back facing forward.

box/port orientation is very important, you'll find that some of the weirdest locations will sound best....not much for looks though.

good luck!
Old 2nd October 2007, 10:21 PM   #12
Flyin11 is offline Flyin11  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the tips Well, I downloaded a pdf of my headunit's instruction manual a while back so I could look at it at work and checked it today and noticed something in the audio options...I always new it had crossovers in it and new that HPF (High Pass Filter- Didn't know it was called this) was for the highs crossover for my front speakers and HPR was for (Rear High Pass Filter-Didn't know it was actually called a filter here either) the crossovers in my rear speakers but I always thought LPF stood for Low Pass Front but this is actually called the Low Pass Filter and it controls the frequencies in my subs. I felt like a idiot Anyways, my amp has the SIP in it and it's running at 90hz (Standard in the PPI Sedonas at the time when you bought the amp) so I messed around with the available frequency crossover ranges: 60/80/120/Through. I always left it at through before because when I would change it it was usually pretty low volume and didn't make any difference. It made a difference on this setup, and it sounds damn good now!! I think it sounds best around 60 or 80hz on the crossover. Don't know what my frequency truly is now being as the amp is at 90hz and I have the radio turned to 60 or 80..?? When that bass hits from the bass guitar and drums..I couldn't even see the road!! I was so surprised at how much of a difference it made, and it was not just loud but clean...as clean as when I had my 10 setup. I don't think I'm going to get a sealed box now...It sounds damn nice in the ported I also don't think I need another amp either...Even though I'm grinding at the teeth to get a new one so who knows It's all coming into play now for me and I sure am enjoying my sound system and new car a lot more now
Old 3rd October 2007, 03:19 AM   #13
Clipped is offline Clipped  Thailand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Clipped
the low frequency cut off is the frequency your radio is set at, since the frequency is lower than the frequency on the amp.

if the cutoff frequency for the radio was 120hz...and the amp cuts at 90 hz....the cutoff would be 90 hz.

glad you finally got it sounding good!

Hide this!Advertise here!