Acura RSX with Acura/Bose "Premium" Sound System - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th September 2007, 03:25 AM   #11
ppia600 is offline ppia600  United States
diyAudio Member

Its not really the plastic basket that sucks. That actually helps the speaker sound better by preventing unwanted resonance and keeping the magnetic field more focused on the coil. Its the crappy paper cones they keep using. I mean come on, get with the program bose!!
Old 30th September 2007, 03:32 PM   #12
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by ppia600
"What the other guys failed to mention is that if you remove the factory amp, there are no crossovers for the factory sub, tweeters, and so on. Hence there is more complication than meets the eye."

/\ we didn't have to mention it.. he already stated he is aware of it.

Quote:
Originally posted by ppia600
Its not really the plastic basket that sucks. That actually helps the speaker sound better by preventing unwanted resonance and keeping the magnetic field more focused on the coil. Its the crappy paper cones they keep using. I mean come on, get with the program bose!!
Paper has some useful acoustical qualities, this isn't my biggest concern frankly as the mids and treble performance up front are surprisingly decent - I just wish for some real bass below 100Hz, that acoustimass woofer is real good at just one thing - one note bass.. It goes neither loud nor more disturbingly - deep.

Given the age of the car, and the complexity of the job involved I don't think I want to pursue a major driver or amplifier upgrade. I might just get a real subwoofer and amplifier, but that is about the limit. Unfortunately the amplifier is incompatible with better speakers both because it is equalized and because the drivers are all 2 ohm. (I expect this amplifier uses the class D amplifier module designed to deliver 50W per channel into 2 ohms - but I won't actually know until I open it up though.)

I will probably buy a bose amplifier and take it apart to determine what would be involved in modifying it for line level input - although if I am smart I'll just leave the whole thing alone so as not to have headaches when I sell the car in a year or two. (At most)

The receiver has an iPod interface which is a plus and one of the reasons I bought it. I thought about buying the iPod/digital media only receiver IDA-X001 to use with a usb drive and iPod, but thought that might not be as user friendly as a simple cd/receiver, and to the less sophisticated potential buyer the inability to play cds might be an issue.

Working at Bose was quite interesting, I learned a lot about scientific method and good cost effective engineering. I have nothing but admiration for the people I worked with, that however does not mean that I have the same feelings about most of their product line.

See my posts on other threads here to understand the depth of my tube affliction, and fascination for giant, ancient speaker system designs..
Old 30th September 2007, 04:01 PM   #13
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by kevinkr
<snip> fascination for giant, ancient speaker system designs..
A man after my heart. Oops OT.
Old 8th October 2007, 02:19 AM   #14
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I've decided to live with it as is for now, probably not worth the effort or money to take it any further.. I adjusted the pots on the pac-2 interface for about 12dB of attenuation which isn't really enough, but it will do..

I'm happy to report that this Alpine head unit is fully compatible with the iPod classic I just purchased.

I've closed up the dash finally.. I will say it sounds a lot better than the old head unit did, though not nearly quite as nice as my Onkens driven by my SE 300B amps. (for Cal W.. )

My wife's comment on the Alpine head unit was that it was excessively complicated to operate (I keep the manual in the car because I can't remember all of the details required to tweak it. ) and she immediately noticed how long the disk seek times are... (Me too actually, and they seem excessive.) Seek times with the iPod aren't particularly fast either which is odd, because the iPod by itself is extremely quick changing track to track. FM performance is orders of magnitude better than the oem unit which is worst I have ever owned.
Old 21st November 2009, 05:19 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

I bought a pioneer 610bt and put that in with the pac oem 2 and the 1998+ honda wiring harness. I'm getting a significant amount of noise coming through. I've been searching the forums and the only possible solution I've come upon is to bypass the amp. I would rather not do this if there is another solution. Anybody have any ideas?
Old 30th November 2009, 02:32 PM   #16
mda185 is offline mda185  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douahe View Post
I bought a pioneer 610bt and put that in with the pac oem 2 and the 1998+ honda wiring harness. I'm getting a significant amount of noise coming through. I've been searching the forums and the only possible solution I've come upon is to bypass the amp. I would rather not do this if there is another solution. Anybody have any ideas?
PAC oem 2 could be a source of noise if it has transformers. I try to stay away from any oem adapter that has transformers.

I have done a similar upgrade to my 2001 Nissan Pathfinder Bose system. I replaced the head unit with an Alpine DVA-9860. I used the preamp outputs to drive the Bose amps and found that it sounded thin and distorted. Max volume was not very loud either. I found that Nissan Bose system amps require a drive signal that is floating ground and at least 4 volts RMS or I get severe alternator noise. Speaker level output signals meet this requirement. I went a step further and installed a 1/2 DIN height preamp EQ made by Precision Power. It has a high voltage output that is very clean and 5 bands of equalization plus an auxiliary input and master volume control. This combination is noise free and it sounds many times better than the OEM Bose head unit did. The EQ is model number PAR-225 and it has been out of production for many years. I picked it up used for $75.00. It was considered high end equipment in its day and retailed for over $400.00. Well worth the effort if you can find one. Audio Control sells a similar unit new for about $225.00.

Last edited by mda185; 30th November 2009 at 02:35 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!