where to find gain control for rockford fosgate Punch 125.2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th September 2007, 02:22 AM   #1
spooney is offline spooney  United States
diyAudio Member

Default where to find gain control for rockford fosgate Punch 125.2

I've got a Punch 125.2 with a gain control that i believe to be out of tolerance. There is about a 1 k ohm difference between the gain controls for each channel when both are turned into their max or minimum positions. Is that difference in ohm load going to cause any huge problems?I can get equal output from either channel, I just have to turn one up a lot higher than the other to acheive the same output. I'll probably just change them both out as they look to have been abused by the previous owner.
Old 25th September 2007, 03:28 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Sounds broke. They should match exactly. I would replace it for general principals that its not right. I have never seen one not matching from one channel to another...
Old 25th September 2007, 04:12 AM   #3
spooney is offline spooney  United States
diyAudio Member

does digikey carry those parts? The part says 5K 751M on the top of it.Is it just a 5 k ohm variable resistor?
Old 25th September 2007, 04:37 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

It probably has a linear resistive element. To make sure, set the pot to the center position and measure the resistance from the wiper to either leg. If they're approximately the same, it's a linear taper pot. This needs to be done with the pots out of the board.

There should be a 909 and a 270 ohm resistor (values used in older amps) for each gain section. Check them to make sure they're in tolerance. If any of the components (including the pot) are out of tolerance, it could account for the difference in the gain at the maximum setting. If the pot is the culprit, I'd expect the gain at the minimum setting to be precisely the same.

I attached a typical Rockford gain control circuit.

Mouser stocks Piher pots and will likely have a suitable replacement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rockfordgain01.jpg (31.1 KB, 79 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!