PPI 2150 AM Dead! Need help or good repair person! - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th November 2007, 02:12 PM   #41
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

I didn't find anything else wrong with it. All the mosfets tested as one would expect as did the gate and source(?) resistors, RCAs tested good to board, etc., voltage looked good at idle, rail voltage was good(+/-30v at 12.5v), and it plays better. No this is just a hobby at this point, but seeing that did not give me a warm fuzzy about surface mounting fets. I have to find the connectors I made for it, then I will run a sub on it and see. It is really too small for subs, but would be nice for anything else.

This amp makes no heat compared to that alpine that was running at 2 ohms. I had it on for 15min on the bench and could not feel any heat in the sinks. In the car when it seemed to work ok it would get a little warm but never hot.
Old 20th November 2007, 03:46 PM   #42
ppia600 is offline ppia600  United States
diyAudio Member

I've never seen any ppi that didn't get at least warm. On the subject of the rca jacks... they suck. I replace the rca jacks on every ppi I get. The original ones have a smaller outer diameter and tend to let the cables work loose causing issues. After that, all you have is super clean sound.
Old 20th November 2007, 04:06 PM   #43
diyAudio Member

It might be different, I was told it was PPI 2075 but now that I look it is different. It is this amp: http://ampguts.realmofexcursion.com/Sansui_SM-1500/

Not sure about 300wrms from that little thing either, maybe 150x1rms. I ran a rubicon 302 and it went way louder, though I think the ppi was messed up then. It was a nice little SQ system with a 3518 alpine. Now went bigger but it is not right, going to tear most of it out when time permits.
Old 20th November 2007, 04:41 PM   #44
diyAudio Member

Here's my brand new pyramid ppi 2075, similar but not exactly. The transformer seems beefier in the ppi and sansui ppi.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 20th November 2007, 04:51 PM   #45
diyAudio Member

Where did you come up with that? That one has the extra stuff mine does not, the two extra fets and what is that black square thing by the gain? Nearly identical otherwise. I had a black pyramid long ago but never looked at the board, it worked pretty well. I tend to like alpines, just got a 1002 I posted about to fix. Need to get parts and see if that is all that is wrong. I might have enough parts in junk amps to fix it actually, just to test it.
Old 20th November 2007, 04:57 PM   #46
diyAudio Member

I won it brand new on ebay, never been hooked up in original box. You should ask around on here about adding the two extra fets, it would be easy and I'm sure someone here would be able to help you decide if it would be worth it. Oh yeah, and the din jack.. it is underneath the cover. There's no hole in the amp's end cover to be able to use it! :lol:

Its weird:

pyramid - eight outputs, six power fets, thin transfomer wire
ppi - eight outputs, six power fets, normal transformer wire
sansui - eight outputs, four power fets, normal transfomer wire

Almost seems like ppi made the sansui and pyramids borderline reliable so it wouldn't help sansui and pyramid's rep too much, haha.
Old 20th November 2007, 05:10 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Nice find! Yeah they fudged it around so they were not the same. I wondered why mine has only 4 power fets, wonder what all I would have to add besides the transistors.

DIN jack under the cover, that is funny. I see the rectifier must be on other side of the board too. That terminal, that is what I need to buy for my speaker outs.

There are deals to be found on there but sure takes a lot of looking. Little while back I scored an alpine m301, kind of small at 350wrms @2ohms but need to run some subs IB anyway. It has all this programmable stuff on it like crossover, slope, parametric eq, shows temp, voltage, its pretty cool and class d and was only $30tmd.
Old 20th November 2007, 08:52 PM   #48
shagone is offline shagone  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jol50
Nice find! Yeah they fudged it around so they were not the same. I wondered why mine has only 4 power fets, wonder what all I would have to add besides the transistors.

DIN jack under the cover, that is funny. I see the rectifier must be on other side of the board too. That terminal, that is what I need to buy for my speaker outs.

There are deals to be found on there but sure takes a lot of looking. Little while back I scored an alpine m301, kind of small at 350wrms @2ohms but need to run some subs IB anyway. It has all this programmable stuff on it like crossover, slope, parametric eq, shows temp, voltage, its pretty cool and class d and was only $30tmd.
yeah i got one of those alpine M301's for cheap too. the seller said it didn't work but it did. i think they didn't know how to set it up with all the digital programming! i was thinking about using it for an IB 12" install too. it should be perfect to fine tune the bass in a free-air application and make it sound as good or better than a boxed sub, and keep the trunk space too!
Old 20th November 2007, 10:13 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

I think we used to sell that model when it first came out. I think they were rated 300w at 2 ohms. They sounded pretty nice after going through the process of adjusting. Several people returned them because of the difficult digital crossover menu.
Old 20th November 2007, 10:16 PM   #50
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shagone

yeah i got one of those alpine M301's for cheap too. the seller said it didn't work but it did. i think they didn't know how to set it up with all the digital programming! i was thinking about using it for an IB 12" install too. it should be perfect to fine tune the bass in a free-air application and make it sound as good or better than a boxed sub, and keep the trunk space too!
Lol, we think the same. What I like is I get my 30Hz no problem and no box...no big amp needed on top of that. My only rule is to use as many subs as possible, that ups the db. That is why I put 4 12s in this car, used to run 4 10s. Now I want to try 2 15s and 8s in the front, with all that sub I have no midbass. Also have a g190 alpine, works great for tuning subs if you don't have a parametric, or one in your HU.

It says 350wrms @2ohm and 175 @4ohm. Is pretty small though. http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...ures_and_specs

Hide this!Advertise here!