BX1000D with no output?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know alot about car audio but repairs is something I've never really done, but I'm sure I can find an explanation on the forum. I have a HiFonics BX1000D that will power up but has no output. Also when connecting the power there a pop from the amp. I've taken the back off the amp and it looks like a few things overheated. And I couldn't get any pics but found a few other post with the same exact problem with pics. So I'm guessing maybe its a design flaw. But this is a decent amp that I'd like to repair. Any help would be much appreciated. P.S. I tried to get schemematics from maxxsonics and was told they could only be released to there authorized repair shops.

Attachments

• amp.jpg
    amp.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 381
No the pics aren't mine but it is the same exact amp and what mines looks like on the inside. I apologize for the misunderstaning. There's only damaged parts were the power supply transistors. On both the top and bottom (looking at the pic). 4 on the top have smoked including one that cracked. And 7 on the bottom also smoked with one that cracked also. I'll try to get a pic up with the covers removed.

If the 4 on the bottom left have failed, you must replace them and the HIP4080 IC (in the socket). Although it's possible that the other 4 output transistors (top left) have survived, I'd strongly suggest replacing them (even if they check good with a meter).

All of the power supply transistors (the 8 on the right -- 4 on top and 4 on bottom) must be replaced. You need to check the gate resistors (connected to pin 1 of the power supply transistors).

The driver transistors may also need to be replaced in the power supply. If I'm not mistaken, there is one driver just below the transformer. I can't see the other. The first leg of the driver transistors will go to the gate resistors. You'll have to locate them or provide a better photo.

Actually all of the output transistors look fine, but all 8 of the power transistors are fried. But I think I'll take your word for it and replace them all just to be on the safe side. Still waiting on a response from maxxsonics to find out what model power transistors they are. I'm guessing there TIP41C, because the numbers on the transistors weren't found on any of the electronic parts sites. Thanks again...I'll still try to get some pics up by the end of the week.

I've actually only checked the obvious so far which were the FQP65N06's which were the ones that were damaged. The output transistors(F1310N's) which I'm guessing are the ones at the other end of the amp look fine. After reading through one of your old post you said I may need replace the FQP65N06's and the HIP4080 IC

If there are no shorted output transistors, the HIP4080 is probably OK and won't need to be replaced.

You also need to remove and check the PNP driver transistors. One is between the transformer and the power supply FETs. It's D-shaped (looking at it from the top) and is adjacent to a diode and resistor. I can't see the one on the other side. You need to pull both of them and check them. If you don't know how to check them, use the form below and post the screen caps (instruction in the panel at the left of the form).
http://www.bcae1.com/repairbasicsforbcae1/images/transistortestpage02.html

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.