diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Car Audio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/car-audio/)
-   -   BX1000D with no output? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/car-audio/108574-bx1000d-no-output.html)

79twotone 16th September 2007 07:48 AM

BX1000D with no output?

2 Attachment(s)
I know alot about car audio but repairs is something I've never really done, but I'm sure I can find an explanation on the forum. I have a HiFonics BX1000D that will power up but has no output. Also when connecting the power there a pop from the amp. I've taken the back off the amp and it looks like a few things overheated. And I couldn't get any pics but found a few other post with the same exact problem with pics. So I'm guessing maybe its a design flaw. But this is a decent amp that I'd like to repair. Any help would be much appreciated. P.S. I tried to get schemematics from maxxsonics and was told they could only be released to there authorized repair shops.

79twotone 16th September 2007 04:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
second pic

Perry Babin 16th September 2007 06:55 PM

Have you checked the output transistors to see if any are shorted?

79twotone 16th September 2007 07:24 PM

Thanks for the quick reply but like I stated this will be my first repair so I'm guessing that the output transistors are the things that are fried on the board. I apologize for my lack of knowledge. :xeye:

I Am An Idiot 16th September 2007 10:11 PM

The blown up pieces are the power supply transistors. The outputs are on the other end of the amp.

Perry Babin 16th September 2007 10:15 PM

You said these photos were not from your amp. Did the power supply transistors (those near the power and ground terminals) fail in a way that caused physical damage (cracked or smoked)?

The output transistors are going to be near the 20 pin IC in the socket. They are in 4 groups of 2.

79twotone 17th September 2007 12:11 AM

No the pics aren't mine but it is the same exact amp and what mines looks like on the inside. I apologize for the misunderstaning. There's only damaged parts were the power supply transistors. On both the top and bottom (looking at the pic). 4 on the top have smoked including one that cracked. And 7 on the bottom also smoked with one that cracked also. I'll try to get a pic up with the covers removed.

Perry Babin 17th September 2007 01:18 AM

From the photos, it appears that there are 8 power supply FETs (4 on the top and 4 on the bottom -- all on the far right end).

There are eleven 3-legged semiconductors on the bottom row. Numbered from 1 to 11 from the left to the right, which ones show signs of damage?

79twotone 17th September 2007 07:31 AM

On the top all 4 look like they smoked with number 2 cracked and 3 and 4 look to have begun to start melting. On the bottom again the first 4 smoked, 1 and 3 started to melt and number 2 cracked. Again thanks for your help. :worship:

Perry Babin 17th September 2007 08:09 AM

If the 4 on the bottom left have failed, you must replace them and the HIP4080 IC (in the socket). Although it's possible that the other 4 output transistors (top left) have survived, I'd strongly suggest replacing them (even if they check good with a meter).

All of the power supply transistors (the 8 on the right -- 4 on top and 4 on bottom) must be replaced. You need to check the gate resistors (connected to pin 1 of the power supply transistors).

The driver transistors may also need to be replaced in the power supply. If I'm not mistaken, there is one driver just below the transformer. I can't see the other. The first leg of the driver transistors will go to the gate resistors. You'll have to locate them or provide a better photo.