m.e.c.p. test????

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i'm in trouble. currently, i'm attending acoustic edge institute in houston. i'm from atlanta. this school is slamming the whole m.e.c.p. study book on us in one week. we have to take the certification test tomorrow. my problem is i cant remember all this stuff in one week. what's the normal study time for an average intellegent individual to pass this test? i feel like an idiot. i'm just not getting it. i cant remember all the ohm's law formulas, diodes, all all that stuff. i really need to pass this test. my people put up alot of money to got to this school. i don't want to let them down. i've been doing that my whole life.

anybody got any suggestions in regards to passing this test? thanx

Wow, don't freak out too much over it. If you're really interested in how the stuff works, you'll do okay. Maybe they will let you take the m.e.c.p. test section over at a later date as long as you get the other sections done. I took mine back in 2000, and it was at my local library with someone watching so I couldn't cheat. I'm not sure if they do that anymore but you might want to ask your instructor about it. By the way, what company will you be working for once you get done with the course?

ppia600 said:
Wow, don't freak out too much over it. If you're really interested in how the stuff works, you'll do okay. Maybe they will let you take the m.e.c.p. test section over at a later date as long as you get the other sections done. I took mine back in 2000, and it was at my local library with someone watching so I couldn't cheat. I'm not sure if they do that anymore but you might want to ask your instructor about it. By the way, what company will you be working for once you get done with the course?

not sure, in atlanta most decent shops want 5 years experience. kinda wanna venture out.

they said if you fail one section on the exam, you fail the whole test. sux, huh? i thought this stuff would be easy because i know how to install. never got paid to it though

Well the two best formulas are the E over I next to R pyramid, (E=voltage, I=current, R=resistance) and the P over I next to E pyramid. I remember the two by thinking "earpie":D I actually learned the formulas while in school for my A & P license. You can use these to figure out just about any electrical problem. For example:

If you're trying to find out how much current is flowing through a resistor in a circuit and you know the resistance (R) and the voltage (E) you can use the E over I next to R pyramid. The E (voltage) is over the R (resistance) so say the resistor is 3 ohms and the voltage is 12. You just divide the resistance into the voltage above it and you have the current.

E = I x R (Voltage = Current multiplied by Resistance)

R = E / I (Resistance = Voltage divided by Current)

I = E / R (Current = Voltage Divided by Resistance)

or

V or E = voltage (E=energy)
I = current in amps (I=intensity)
R = resistance in ohms
P = power in watts

V = I * R E = I * R

I = V / R I = E / R

R = V / I R = E / I

P = V * I P = E * I

/\ this probably won't look the way I wrote it. I'm going to try and copy and paste some kind of link....
So dividing the 3 into the 12 will give you 6 amps of current. Or if you have the I and the R for example, but not the E, you can just multiply them and get the E (voltage). You really don't use the formulas much in mobile electronics unless you get into crossover design and things of that nature. You mainly need to learn how to determine resistance of voice coils or combonations of voice coils. I can't remember the formulas for that right off hand but I can usually determine that in my head since we usually don't install more than four subs at a time.

Perry Babin said:
The first link is the relationship for voltage, current, resistance and power. The second may help you remember how to manipulate the components. You may have to click on it twice to get it to react.

http://www.bcae1.com/temp/ohmslawwithalgebra01.gif

http://www.bcae1.com/temp/ohmslawmovieclip.swf

E is electromotive force, not energy. Energy is expressed in joules and is something different. For more information on joules, google:

energy joules watt second

Wow, its amazing. Even though I pasted those formulas directly from an educational website designed to teach people the basics of ohms' laws, someone still has to come in and "correct" it. Unbelievable :whazzat:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.