MTX 6500D - No Output - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th February 2012, 02:50 AM   #111
diyAudio Member

Well a quick update on this; (Alright not so quick.)

The output has stayed consistent (meaning every time I hook it up it produces audio) since I replaced Q110, so the “No Output” problem is fixed.

The only other problem was the speaker “fluttering” or jumping around real bad when adjusting the GAIN & crossover potentiometers. The output amplitude was not steady either.

Perry mentioned it could be the potentiometer, & after recently getting an old Rockford amp and the speaker fluttered when adjusting it & did basically the same thing, I figured that’s what it was in the 6500D.

I cleaned the crossover pot, but I made the mistake of unsoldering the GAIN pot, which Perry mentioned too much heat may cause damage (it did), lesson learned there, but thought I would give de-soldering it a shot, should have been more careful. Two of the pins lost there tension & contact to the resistive elements.

To try & get it to work again, I managed to heat the pins up pretty hot to where the plastic got soft again & then I pushed down the plastic with a small screwdriver right where the legs connect underneath, I then held the plastic down until it cooled, while I don’t think this will be reliable, it did get the contacts back making connection again.

The GAIN pot was filthy & likely the main problem with the pots, I cleaned it as good I could. Then reassembled it & installed it back into the amp being careful not to heat the pins too much.

The amp now seems to work fine, no speaker fluttering or popping when adjusting the GAIN or crossover pots, & the audio output amplitude stays steady.

Now all I need is to find a replacement potentiometer for the GAIN & it should be done. I have had this amp for a long time now so I plan on keeping it, hopefully the GAIN pot holds up until I get a replacement; this also means I am not too stressed about getting a replacement.

So I guess I am pretty much done with this now. I want to thank Perry Babin for all of the help as I could not have got this amp working without him;

So Perry Babin, Thank You!

I hope this thread helps others down the road! Looks like it already helped a few people.
Old 16th February 2012, 02:55 AM   #112
diyAudio Member

Using low temperature solder and setting the temperature to about 400°F can sometimes protect the pots but not always.
Old 16th February 2012, 03:16 AM   #113
diyAudio Member

I tried to be careful & as quick as possible, but had a hard time with a couple of the pins while de-soldering. I probably would not have tried it on a customer’s amp, would’ve been a last resort, but thought I would practice on mine, maybe not the smartest idea! At least I got a feel for how sensitive they are.

I did read about the low temperature & using the low temp solder, but since I did not have any of the solder, I thought I would go for it anyway. I will be more careful next time; at least I know for sure it was the pots causing the problem.

I used the other method for cleaning the crossover pot & that worked fine, would have probably worked on the GAIN well too.

Thanks again!
Old 28th May 2013, 11:26 PM   #114
diyAudio Member

hello i have a mtx 6500d amp as well has no output but i replaced the VCA ic wit a 1.2 resistor but on the speaker terminals you get a 45v dc current on it

Hide this!Advertise here!