Car Amplifier Power Supply - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th September 2007, 05:03 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Car Amplifier Power Supply

How much interest is there in power supplies for DIY car audio amplifiers?

This was mentioned before. How many of you would be 'really' interested in a supply that could support an amplifier of ~400-500 watts?

If there is enough interest, I may be willing to build them or to provide the main components (sink, board, transformer), with detailed assembly instructions. The prices would be ~$110 for the main components and ~$160 assembled.

This is the prototype. I ran an amplifier on it and it produced ~$500 watts into a 4 ohm mono bridged load.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_4783b2.jpg (86.4 KB, 1353 views)
Old 11th September 2007, 05:47 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Nice work Perry ! looks well built and professional
Old 11th September 2007, 06:24 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Very nice Perry
What's the output voltage and current?
What do think of this one from Elector?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg file0018.jpg (52.9 KB, 1208 views)
Old 11th September 2007, 06:32 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Here's the schematic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg file0019.jpg (99.4 KB, 1235 views)
Old 11th September 2007, 06:42 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I don't know anything about the one you posted.

The output voltage on the one I posted could be virtually anything you need. The transformer in it is wound 3:1. It's a good general purpose ratio. With this transformer at 13.5v DC in, the output is ~40v (unregulated). There is regulation for the rail voltage but I'll modify it a bit in the next run. This one only monitors one rail. I generally monitor both rails and should have here.

There are pre-regulators so you don't have to worry about going too high for the linear voltage regulators in it (7815/7915 IC regs).

The current would vary with the ratio of the transformer. The total power output could be set conservatively at 400 watts RMS.
Old 11th September 2007, 06:51 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

The elektor supply is more sophisticated. It would be difficult to build unless they supplied the transformer. If you can buy the transformer, it looks like a nice supply. From what I could tell, it has higher-than-rail supplies for the drive section of the audio amplifier. It also uses opto-couplers for regulation.
Old 11th September 2007, 05:57 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Perry Babin
The elektor supply is more sophisticated. It would be difficult to build unless they supplied the transformer. If you can buy the transformer, it looks like a nice supply. From what I could tell, it has higher-than-rail supplies for the drive section of the audio amplifier. It also uses opto-couplers for regulation.

I've the full manual to build it +PCB layout and how to build the transformer and step-down transformer.It's from the year 1994 and at that time I did want to buy it but I didn't Its a regulated supply with 43Volts/DC output and 50A current
Old 11th September 2007, 06:38 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I misunderstood you. I thought you were asking about the output current. The 50 amps of current (for your supply) is the input current from the DC power source.
Old 11th September 2007, 08:12 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

What I mean is when you're connecting an stereo amplifier the Elector supply draws 50A,how much is your drawing
I like your supply very much,do you ship to Europe too?
Old 11th September 2007, 08:55 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

The current draw depends on the power drawn from the secondary. At idle with no load, it draws ~1 amp. The current draw at higher power will vary.

If the elektor states that it draws 50 amps, it should state the output current.

I haven't shipped any as of yet. I had 5 boards printed so I could test it. If I'd ship it to Europe, I'd have to ship it via a trackable shipper (FedEx, UPS...).

This supply doesn't have an isolated secondary. The elektor does. I'll likely have an option for an isolated secondary on the next set of boards.

If your amp design doesn't have noise cancelling inputs, you could have noise problems using this supply (due to ground loops). You could break the loop of you use a ground loop isolator (transformer) in the signal line. If you didn't need regulation, this secondary could be cut free from the main ground.

If you're interested, these are some of the features:

*Size ~6"x7"x2.75" (1" longer with the bottom cover -- which includes mounting brackets)

*Double-sided FR4 fiberglass circuit boards

*High quality snap-mount caps for the main rails

*Low ESR caps across the B+ supply

*8 FETs in the supply (IRFZ44s are in the prototype)

*Pre-regulators to allow the use of IC regulators (which have limited input voltage -- generally 35v) when the supply is used for high rail voltage

*15v regulation to power the preamp section of an amplifier

*Terminal blocks for input and output

*Regulation for the main supply (of limited use at this time)

*Thermal protection

*Overcurrent protection in the form of fuses for the rails (linear regs have their own protection)

*A thermally controlled fan output

*Film bypass capacitors on nearly all electrolytics

*RC snubbers on the power supply primary

*High speed, heatsink mounted rectifiers

DIY bonus features:
*LED indicators to let you know the drive circuit is oscillating without a scope

*LED indicators for each output

*The pre-regulators can feed gainclone modules while the main rails power a subwoofer amp

*Generous pads and vias to help prevent board damage (for those who like to experiment with different values of components)

*The traces on the rails are designed to be cut to allow you to insert an inductor or resistor for those who want CRC or CLC supplies

Hide this!Advertise here!