PPI Promos 25 - Actual output?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Everyone! Thank you for letting me join your forum! I've been a vistor here quite a few times and I admire the wealth of technical knowledge here.

So here goes my first post. I recently purchased a PPI Promos 25 and was wondering what the bridged output is at 4 ohms and 2 ohm @ 13.6V and 14.4V? I understand that this amp is conservative rated and want to match the right sub to it.

I will be using it to replace a MTX Thunder 302. I expect the sound quality and power output will exceed the 302's rating of 425 watts bridged 4 ohms @ 14.4V.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Again!

I think the pro mos 25 is:

25 watts by two channels into 4 ohms stereo
50 watts by two channels into 2 ohms stereo
100 watts by two channels into 1 ohms stereo
200 watts into one channel bridged into 2 ohms

That is if its the white one with fins. I had a pro mos 50 with fins and it was 400 watts rms bridged into 2ohms.

They are pretty under rated though. There is no way it will be more powerful than your mtx 302. That is a really good amp, and also under rated. It is also more advanced in design than the ppi which doesn't mean its better, but it does help in the power output department. The pro mos is mosfet in the power supply and bipolar for the output stages. The mtx is mosfet for both the power supply and output stages. I'm going to go check a few things because I was thinking the pro mos 25 was more like 200 watts bridged into 2 ohms... not sure though..

I'm not sure if they are regulated, but since they are the ones designed for cheating in competitions, it is likely it isn't. I believe the art amps and power class lines are regulated, but not sure about those. I used to run my pro mos 50 bridged into 2 ohms mono into an image dynamics IDQ 12 and it was very impressive.
Maybe you should look into using a ported box and designing the box around the woofer and the vehicle to make use of the amp's power.

According to my recollection all the white ppi amps where tightly regulated. As far as being under rated all the reviews that I remember of the art series all showed that they produced very near their rated output, that is opposed to others that don't get near to their rated output. I also have a vague recollection that the output was 2 x 12.5 @ 4 ohms but at the moment I can't find my old ppi catalogue to confirm this...
I hope that this helps some....

/\ I was thinking 12.5 at first too, but can't find any literature either. I know my pro mos 50 was 50 by two (not the freak black art one I have now). It was written on top of the amp and mine was the white finned type with the nice colorful silk screening on the top, too.

I found my catalogue and it states that

the Pro Mos 12 was

2 x 12.5wrms @ 4 ohms
2 x 25wrms @ 2 ohms
2 x 50wrms @ 1 ohm
1 x 100wrms @ 2 ohms

the Pro Mos 25 was

2 x 25wrms @ 4 ohms
2 x 50wrms @ 2 ohms
2 x 100wrms @ 1 ohm
1 x 200wrms @ 2 ohm

the Pro Mos 50 was

2 x 50wrms @ 4 ohms
2 x 100wrms @ 2 ohms
2 x 200wrms @ 1 ohm
1 x 400wrms @ 2 ohms

the Pro Mos 425 was the same spec as two Pro Mos 25's and the Pro Mos 450 was the same as two Pro Mos 50's.

These were the white finned variety that ran at the same time as the art series....

I hope that this clears up some details...

Junglejuice

You could actually bridge the two rears on it for a 2 ohm load and give each rear 100 watts rms. Otherwise it will clip at a relatively low output level. The rears will end up being "mono" but since the image should be in front of you anyway, it wont sound bad. Just a thought :) (I would do the ;) but I'm not smartypants enough for that icon, haha.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.