Modding Pre-Amp Board on MTX TA81001D...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just picked up a pair of MTX Thunder TA81001D amps, and according to the engineers at MTX there is no way to disable the subsonic filter or bypass the built in EQ in the pre-amp board (which is a crock). The TA92001, TE4001, and TE1501 units all have a button to bypass all of this garbage, but no such button exists on the TA81001. If you take the pre-amp board out, you can clearly see a spot on the board for the bypass switch - Labeled as "S102". MTX refuses to give me a schematic or instructions on what needs to be jumpered, removed, etc. to
eliminate the EQ and Subsonic filter pieces. I'm about to tear into it myself, but figured I would ask here first. If anyone has experiencing modding these out, or access to to schematics for the TA92001, TE4001, or TE1501 pre-amp boards, It would be most appreciated.

Thanks Guys,

Hans

I agree with IAAI. Try that first.

I tried bypassing the preamp board on a 4601 and it was not happy with the high frequency signals. With driven full range, the amp drew excessive current even without a load. The current draw increased when loaded. In the newer amplifiers, there may be a circuit mod that allows you to bypass the crossovers without damaging the amplifier. I believe that the 4601 would self destruct if I ran it like this for any significant period of time.

When driven from the subwoofer output of the head unit, it didn't draw excessive as it did with the full range signal. It essentially performed normally (but with significanly lower gain -- a 2v head unit could not drive it to full power).

If you try this, do NOT run it higher than 100Hz. If you do, you run the risk of destroying the amp. Sometimes, when these amps fail, they do so dramatically (melted aluminum and severely charred fiberglass).

The following image shows the jumper positions I used on the 4601. These may not correspond to the same connections for your amp. Doing this on your amp may cause it to fail.

http://www.bcae1.com/IMG_3478b.jpg

If you try this, insert a 15 or 20 amp fuse in the B+ line feeding your amplifier. If there is a problem, the small fuse may help prevent damage to your amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.