Mr. Babin and Mr. Bezjak...... - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th September 2007, 02:31 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Perry Babin

Old school amps are often better designed mechanically/physically. It was rare to find an amp that would fall apart during normal use (Rockford's HD series was the exception).

I heard that the HD stood for Heavy Duty. But I seem to remember them failing about twice as often as the older amps.
Old 9th September 2007, 04:36 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by I Am An Idiot

I heard that the HD stood for Heavy Duty. But I seem to remember them failing about twice as often as the older amps.

I heard HD stood for Hybrid Design, but in reality it stood for Heavily Damaged by normal use.
Old 10th September 2007, 08:34 PM   #13
shagone is offline shagone  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by justonemoreamp

I heard HD stood for Hybrid Design, but in reality it stood for Heavily Damaged by normal use.

I think it was "hybrid design" because it had some surface mount and some through hole components.

I just picked up an old punch 75 pre "HD" that is in decent physical shape but not working. It should be a nice one to bring back to life. they used to be known as "cheater amps" because they put out more than rated power when loaded down properly.
Old 10th September 2007, 09:20 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

There was a guy on e-bay with modules for these by the name dealsbyjason I know he had input modules for like $20.00 each.

Good luck
Old 11th September 2007, 02:29 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

The heavy duty thing was a joke. In reality I think it stood for Half as Dependable.

Did this Dealsbyjason have just the hb-pim or did he have the pom and ppm?
Old 11th September 2007, 04:52 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

I saw just the HB-PIM, but he has a stock of old RF stuff I bought 2 different sets of RCAs he had real sweet price on. He had sinks , boards, bad boards, you name it and it was all old RF stuff from the factory. Sinks new, with labels, gossh you name it..

Heres a link to his e-bay name so you can contact him:

http://myworld.ebay.com/dealsbyjason/

Good luck, hes pretty good people
Old 12th September 2007, 07:43 AM   #17
Clipped is offline Clipped  Thailand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Clipped
i really like the sound of old school audison amps...the ones with darlington outputs.

I restored one a while back and had them on a pair of 3 inch speakers for testing and the sound was much fuller than the orion 2150sx, i had refurbished before.
Old 12th September 2007, 09:43 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I left out Audison by mistake. my bad ... I also like the way Audison sounds. I have had the chance to repair one or two and I was impressed with their overall design and construction, along with their SQ

But here again the price issue comes into play Audison does not come without a price
Old 14th September 2007, 04:18 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to junglejuice
Quote:
Originally posted by shagone

I think it was "hybrid design" because it had some surface mount and some through hole components.

I just picked up an old punch 75 pre "HD" that is in decent physical shape but not working. It should be a nice one to bring back to life. they used to be known as "cheater amps" because they put out more than rated power when loaded down properly.

Boy that must be an old amp if it is pre HD as the HD's were very early 90's as I had a Punch45 HD and that was around 1993-4.....
Old 14th September 2007, 01:15 PM   #20
Clipped is offline Clipped  Thailand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Clipped
Quote:
Originally posted by justonemoreamp
I left out Audison by mistake. my bad ... I also like the way Audison sounds. I have had the chance to repair one or two and I was impressed with their overall design and construction, along with their SQ

But here again the price issue comes into play Audison does not come without a price
if you ever want an audison id be glad to send one to ya!
around these parts the 'L' prefix goes for around $200-300.

i like the older ones, they run alot cooler...and none of that silly smd business.

ive been salivating over this used one for quite some time now...but the guy just wont go down on price.

500 clams

http://realmofexcursion.com/ampguts/Audison_VRx1.500/

Hide this!Advertise here!