problem with subs or amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone, i seem to have a problem with my stereo lately, it will hit hard but then sometimes it will get softer for a min or two, then hit hard again, it will repeat this constantly, but sometimes it doesnt do it..i thought maybe a loose wire but i took it all out of my car and checked everything and reinstalled it and it stopped for a few days but now is back. I was wondering if anyone would be able to point me in the right direction. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

So are the coils of the woofers connected in series on the woofer and then paralled at the amp? I would definately bridge the two rear channels of the amp to 4 ohms to max the amp out at least. Do you have a multimeter to check a few things?

-Turn off the amp and read the ohm load at the amp where the woofers are connected
-Make sure the amps power ground wire is solid and clean directly to the cars body.. not to a seat bolt.
-Disconnect the rca's at the amp and read from the ground side of the rca cable (the outside part) to the frame of the car, it should not be over about two ohms.

You could have amplifier output transistor problems, a bad solder connection on the amp board or even a shorted coil on one of the woofers. A couple more things to add to the last checks:

-Make sure the fuse under the hood isn't intermittently opening up. Sometimes they can get so hot one end will melt away from the connector inside the fuse and disconnect power temporarily. The fuse will still look good in the middle but be disconnected on the end under the metal shell where you can't see.
-Make sure the connections to the woofers inside the box aren't loose or touching eachother in any way

This is something you can do that won't hurt anything, is cheap, and will protect the amp and the cd player's rca circuit: Buy a ground loop isolator and install it behind the cd player between the rca's going to the amp. 1- it will prevent any ground loop issues and also keep the amp from drawing power through the rca cables and frying the deck's internal rca grounds. 2-If you install this ground loop isolator and there is suddenly no sound from the amp: You either have a bad rca ground inside the radio, fried rca cable grounds, or cracked ground connection inside the amp where the ground wire connection is soldered.

Let us know what you get

If you're only using one channel for bass, move the woofers to a different channel.

If you had it bridged and had two input signals, it would lead me to think that one signal line was dropping out. If you're only using one channel, this doesn't apply.

On some amplifiers, if the shield ground is broken, the output will drop and/or become distorted. This is generally due to an intermittent connection in the RCA cable's shield ground. It can also happen if the shield ground in the head unit is faulty (broken solder connections).

well i finally got to check the amp with the multimeter and with the amp off and at the speaker output terminals read 0 ohms and the rca cables read about 0.5 ohms, i switched the subs to the other channel and it sorta fixed it but now i have feedback from the cd player through the subs... i rechecked all the positive and negetive connections and they are all good..

Sub

I have a sub in a custom box that is shutting my amp off due to it being to the magnet being to close to the bottom of the box and not allowing the air to spread through the box, instead it is just shooting right back up towards the speaker, and it cant handle it, therefor shutting of my amp. this is according to the car audio place i take it too. They told me i could try polyfill to fool the speaker but i am trying to sell the speaker and get one of the new shallow subs, any suggestions?

well i figured out the problem with it, i got a new amp and installed it and it did kinda the same thing but then i had figured out that the ground wire on the amp was loose and the Y adapters on the back of the cd player were causing it...but i got a new amp so i dont have problems... it a sony xplod xm-2002gtw 1200 watt, sounds much better than my old one.. i am very surprised with the amp since its a walmart amp but it sounds really good..

We need more details on how your equipment is installed

-are the speaker soldered to the wires?
-are the speaker terminals touching the metal of the car?
-what brand rca cables do you have?
-is the amp running your highs and if so, how are the wires ran to the speakers?
-how are the radio's wires connected to the speaker wires, if there are any the deck is running (crimps or t taps, or soldered?)

If I was there to see it, we could have it figured out in less than five minutes... nothing much I can do over the interweb...

no the speakers are not soldered, the amp is only running the subs, the deck is powering the rest, dont kno what brand the rca cables are, think tey might be monster, the deck is connected to the harness with butt conectors and plugged into the factory harness...didnt happen til i put in the bigger amp, i was thinking maybe the pressure from tthe subs was messin with the stock 6x9..

yes you ar very right, it is hard to help fix somethin or figure somethin out when you cannot actually see or hear what is going on..

Try turning the deck bass down low and then adjusting the amp back up to get the subs back to the volume you want. Maybe the subs are pushing on the 6x9's like you said and working against the deck causing distortion. Sometimes using a capacitor inline with the speaker +'s will help. Something between 45 and 99 uf, unless your deck has a high pass filter for the front and rear, then you could use that. What model number is the deck? Should be on the faceplate somewhere. Something like cdx-.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.