soundstream mc245 blowing speaker fuses - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th April 2008, 03:30 PM   #11
marko is offline marko  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

i actually changed the pair of matching left/right channels for that blown channel and used the later tip102/107, worked a treat
Old 12th April 2008, 03:41 PM   #12
pugdogs is offline pugdogs  United States
diyAudio Member

Cool, man, cool!

You can use the higher voltage TIP's with no problem. I don't remember what they were but that's great! TIP102/ TIP107's?

pugdogs
Old 12th April 2008, 03:45 PM   #13
marko is offline marko  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pugdogs
Cool, man, cool!

You can use the higher voltage TIP's with no problem. I don't remember what they were but that's great! TIP102/ TIP107's?

pugdogs
yes, originally they were tip101/106 then ss upgraded to tip102/107, i need a bucket full of them for my continuum so if anyone knows where i can get them real cheap then i'm open to suggestions! also need all power supply fets if anyone knows of any cheap!!
Old 12th April 2008, 04:04 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Marko this is who I sent your continuum pics to a while back and he commented back to you about it.....You can pretty much bank on anything he says about SoundStream products......C
Old 13th April 2008, 09:03 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Mr. C & Marko...We meet again my friends! LOL!

Yes, check with Jaime at JandRelectronics for the transistors but I'm not sure on the FETs for the power supply. The power supply FET's are P25N06. Not sure if they were Motorola. Check the net.

pugdogs
Old 13th April 2008, 03:10 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Hello h3ad,

Sorry if I did not read your last reply correctly. It may have been the beer, the girls or something like that! LOL!

Yes, replace ALL output devices on the failing channel if you have multiple devices on that channel. You can measure from collector to emitter to find the bad device. However, the best way to check them is to lift the emitter resistors (.1 Ohm or whatever) and measure each device. I totally agree with you to replace ALL devices on the bad channel. Once a channel goes down ALL devices are BAD!
This is what we did in the service department back in the old days. We had lots of parts and wanted to fix every amp like new.
That was a long time ago but you get the picture! LOL!

Bottom line is...Don't be cheap! If you are going to fix it...fix it right!

pugdogs
Old 21st May 2008, 07:07 PM   #17
h3ad is offline h3ad  Australia
diyAudio Member

lol might have been.
but yes it a good trent to go by as i have seen many amps repaired, and blow the other channel, because the way i see it, if 1 channel has blown up, especially in stereo setups, the other channel has seen similar abuse but just managed to hold up, but will die soon after if pressured.

so when i fix amplifiers i tend to replace the outputs from other channels, even if they are "good".
but yes ALWAYS replace the pair or all of the outputs if more than 2, in a channel, becasue, say a channel has 4 outputs and 1 dies, the others have seen the same abuse, so always replace them.

anyway glad to hear you fixed your amp anyway marko.
and dont worry pugdogs, maybe beer and girls do make it hard to read lol

h3aD

Hide this!Advertise here!