Tape adapter does not work with 2000 Passat - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th August 2007, 12:16 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Tape adapter does not work with 2000 Passat

I am trying to listen to my mp3 via tape adapter, but it gives me a "tape error" message, when I insert it. It is a Phillips tape adapter. Are these not compatible with the Passat Monsoon tape deck? The tape player plays tapes fine. Does anyone know what could be wrong?
Old 9th August 2007, 12:22 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Those tape adapters are notorious for being a PITA. I would trash it and buy a FM modulator.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...trypage=search

If you don't mind spending a few dollars extra, buy one that is PLL synthesized.
Old 9th August 2007, 04:05 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to guitar_joe
+1 for the modulator
I got one of those and they work brilliant. It cost me $20aud from a grocery store. Sound quality is top notch.
Old 9th August 2007, 10:37 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the information. I thought there might be something wrong with this device or the way it works with the tape deck and some one would know what it was.

It's funny cause at some car audio forum everyone was saying the modulators are not as good as the tape adapter. I guess I might get a modulator.
Old 9th August 2007, 11:14 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Some modulators are cheap junk. But like I said, try to buy one that is PLL synthesized, these are of much better quality and will beat the sound of a tape adapter to death.

You could try one like this for ease of install....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wireless-FM-Tran...QQcmdZViewItem

I suggest the kind that connects directly to the antenna for better quality. This type requires some effort to install......

http://cgi.ebay.com/DIGITAL-STEREO-F...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 10th August 2007, 12:42 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Your deck is smarter than most. When a tape is playing in your or any other deck for that matter, the capstain regulates the speed of the tape, the take up reels take up the tape after it goes throught the capstain. There is always tension on the take up reel.

Your adaptor has a belt that connects the 2 take up reels together. But there is nothing to offer tension to the drive take up reel, so it turns freely and your radio thinks there is a problem.
Old 14th August 2007, 10:33 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by theAnonymous1
Some modulators are cheap junk. But like I said, try to buy one that is PLL synthesized, these are of much better quality and will beat the sound of a tape adapter to death.

You could try one like this for ease of install....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wireless-FM-Tran...QQcmdZViewItem

I suggest the kind that connects directly to the antenna for better quality. This type requires some effort to install......

http://cgi.ebay.com/DIGITAL-STEREO-F...QQcmdZViewItem
Looks like I have to get a modulator. Thanks for the tips.

Quote:
Originally posted by I Am An Idiot
Your deck is smarter than most. When a tape is playing in your or any other deck for that matter, the capstain regulates the speed of the tape, the take up reels take up the tape after it goes throught the capstain. There is always tension on the take up reel.

Your adaptor has a belt that connects the 2 take up reels together. But there is nothing to offer tension to the drive take up reel, so it turns freely and your radio thinks there is a problem.
Yes, this is what I thought was the problem. No resistance provided by the thingies that spin, so the tape deck detects a "tape error" to prevent tapes from getting tangled, I think. So buying another tape adaptor will not help.

Hide this!Advertise here!