pioneer deh-p8500mp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It sounds like the power amplifier IC has failed. It could have been defective when you got it or you could have allowed a wire to short to ground or another wire. This is common.

It's been a while since I've repaired head units but I'm sure someone can tell you if it's an easy repair. Sometimes the mechanisms for the faceplates make the job more difficult.

Some of these head units used a power amp IC with a high side drive. The HSD was used as a remote turn on. If this one uses the output of the IC to drive the remote output, you should get the part from Pioneer. Some of the replacement ICs didn't have the HSD feature and therefore the remote won't work.

If you have the main board out of the bottom cover/shell, look at the back of the head unit (or wherever the heatsink is) and there will be a large IC with 20 or so pins. That's the power amp. Generally they will be discolored and cracked. You may have to pull the metal frame off of the main board to get the old IC out and the new IC in.

You'll need a desoldering pump or desoldering braid and a good soldering iron to change the IC.

Since it had no power, check the main fuse. If it's not blown, you may have burned/open traces on the circuit board.

You can get the replacement part from Pacific Coast Parts. The

part number is BA3834F

Their phone number is 1-800-421-5080

I do not remember where the IC is mounted on that radio, but it should not be real hard to locate. Just follow the traces on the bottom of the circuit board from the plug to the chip.

i looked at the board the fuse blew and i also have burned tracks on the side where i took off a big black box 2 of the tracks were burned i can see that.

so are you saying that the ic amp is on the board
i might have to take it to a repair shop because i dont have the tools to fix it i hate to have to pay a lot to get this fixed

but like i said i have the board out

If the remote is not taken from the power amp IC, you can clip the leads from the board (as close as possible to the board with flush cutting pliers) and repair any traces that are needed to get the head unit to power up.

If the remote output is taken from the power amp IC, it needs to be replaced for the head unit to operate properly.

The yellow arrow in the attached photo is pointing the the power amp IC. This is not the same head unit you have but it should be similar.

Attachments

• img_2766c.jpg
    img_2766c.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 85
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.