Need expert help with first DIY car audio 3-way design - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th August 2007, 12:52 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to junglejuice
3 way front ends can work really well if done properly, I myself used to use a Canton 3 way speaker set with 1", 5" and a 10" all up front with the 10's in the doors and the 5's and 1's in the kick panels and it was very very nice, it was the closest thing to a home audio system I have ever heard, though it was a bit to obvious to people outside the vehicle.
I would not go for a 3 way setup with the largest driver being a 5.5" you need bigger at least a 6.5" or even better still a 8" especially when you are running 15's you will have no midbass!
Old 6th December 2007, 10:37 PM   #12
shagone is offline shagone  United States
diyAudio Member

what ever happened with this project? did it go through? the reason i ask is because i'm considering using dayton rs 7" mids up front in my bmw 3 series if they will fit but i'm looking for reviews of their sound in a car. i have a 3 way set up now but i will go down to a 2-way i think. 3-way is too complicated to get right

by the way, i have never had huge problems with off axis response using the lower forward door locations. as long as you use drivers with good off axis response and don't cross over too high then you should be fine. i like 2.5k and up as a reference starting point for tweets but some can't handle it well.
Old 7th December 2007, 01:34 AM   #13
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

Off axis tends to get worse the higher frequency you go, and start sooner the larger the driver is. Dome tweeters/mids have better dispersion, often 3 way will use dome mids because of this. 2 way is easier and if you do get a larger format tweeter than can run lower as the mid will get directional running higher and you will then get your off axis issues. Of course if you have a pioneer 880 that can do 2 way easily, why not run active and it would be much easier. Just pick up another amp for the tweeters and you are good to go. I'm told the RS is a great driver for that, use a tweeter that can go low (for a tweeter) and it should work nice. Passive crossovers might be a lot of work however, in tuning. Nice HU really helps a ton. Do a search on SSA, there are many posts about it and what drivers work well....Seas is a favorite.
Old 9th December 2007, 03:13 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

There's some great conversation going on here, certainly a subject many others have considered.

3-way front stages can work very well. Qualifiers to help hedge your bets toward better SQ:
Keep midrange and tweeter together physically
Use midbass/midrange drivers over at least two octaves
Keep midbass HP as low as possible
Use sub LP as low as possible, preferably only passing the last couple of octaves.

If high SPL is the goal, these aren't necessarily good ideas.

Personally, I prefer the mid/tweeter combo to be located as high up as possible. IMHO, legs, steering wheel, and console do get in the way and cause as more grief to kick panel locations than they alleviate with path length issues.

Tim

Hide this!Advertise here!