Is your sub strapped down?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Redmond man paralyzed after crash sends speaker flying

By Peyton Whitely
Seattle Times Eastside bureau

A 27-year-old Redmond man is a quadriplegic after a stereo speaker in his car came loose in a rear-end crash and smashed into him, breaking his neck.

The speaker, in the rear of the man's 1973 Datsun 240Z, was not attached to the car, said Trooper Jeff Merrill, public-information officer for the State Patrol.

The man was rear-ended by a pickup while stopped at a ramp-metering light at the Northeast 70th Street entrance to Interstate 405 about 4:15 p.m. Saturday.

The driver of the 1998 Ford F-250 truck, a 40-year-old Bothell man, was speeding when he approached the ramp and failed to stop, Merrill said.

The speaker flew forward on impact and hit the Datsun driver in the neck. He was paralyzed by the injury and remains in serious condition at Harborview Medical Center, Merrill said.

The driver of the truck was not injured. The pickup was owned by a Seattle painting company.

The collision remains under investigation, and no charges have been filed. The drivers' names were not released.

The Patrol warned that it is important to secure objects in vehicles to prevent such catastrophes.

A widely reported incident involving similar circumstances took place in Kirkland in 1994 when Mike Frier, a Seattle Seahawks player, was paralyzed from the waist down when a 200-pound stereo speaker broke loose from the rear cargo area of a sport-utility vehicle and crushed him in a collision on 108th Avenue Northeast.

my amps took a lot of work though but it's well worth it. :) two are 41Hz amps and they work really well. :D

the sub and box took three people to carry and put in the back (I usually put the box in first and install te sub after putting it in the car, that method takes two people to do) so I'm guessing it's more than 100lbs just for the sub and box.

a rear end hit might not make it fly but I'm worried about what if I'm travelling fast and hit something stationary. :bigeyes:

Ouch

3 reasons to bolt them down:

1) Sounds better
2) See top post
3) Theft

I have just installed a second battery in the boot/trunk of my car.
That has to be fixed, so it don't fall over and spill acid, if its not a sealed battery, which its not, it should need ventillation, becuse of fumes given off whilst charging, and you should install it in a plastic box as per camping with an auxilary battery.

Very naughty me, I have a window never fully closed and its cable tied in!! But then, I only installed it yesturday.
Now I'm gonna think of a safer plan.

By the way, bass is awsome and the engine has less of a hard time, and when I cranked it up this morning it fired instantly, where as before it would crank until the battery near enough gave out, appx 20 seconds. I broke down at Asda and had to ask for a jump start. The battery is good, the alternator is fine and even the local garage hasn't got a clue, why my battery looses its charge. Now with 2 batteries, all seems well.
Mike:D

Batteries

Hello, yes both batteries are of different age, make and probably capacity too. But I never paid for either of them. Its gonna cost between £50 and £90 (£sterling) to buy the correct battery for my car, (a Vauxhall/Opel Corsa 1.5TD). Fair enough, I should buy one, but finances are maxed, and I can't waste money if there is a fault that can't be found. Damn thing is daft, I got 14.3 volts charge, 12-13 volts on the battery and the only, er Quiesent current-if you like, is a Clock display, with Date and Temperature in led form, about 50mA if memorey serves me. Oh, and the connections to and from Battery, alternator, starter, chassis and Glo-plugs, polish with my oil stone, which is meant for my woodworking blades. The main battery, up front, was starting my cousins 2.0L BMW! Don't know if thats good, but he seemed to think so!
But, for now, I'm enjoying the fact it fires straight away, (diesels don't like continuous cranking), the car seems perkier. Don't have the drop in revs as though the alternater is overloading. My head unit is starting to sound as though its had a tweak or two inside with some exotic caps and Gold plated play button. The reflex cabinated 10inch Longmill, (thanks richie00boy-http://www.readresearch.co.uk/), sounds less boomy and more refined. Kate Bush's Ariel is starting to sound Hi-fi rather than SPL boom boom hip hop whatever:)

Sorry for ranting.:)

Mike:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.