Alpine ipod head unit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What load did they use to test the RCA outputs?

No normal amplifier front end has a low enough input impedance to significantly pull down the output of a head unit. Most head units produce at least one volt RMS.

I measured the output voltage of a Pioneer DEH-P3500 I have on the bench (rated at 2v). The following voltages are RMS. The head unit is capable of slightly greater output but the digital volume doesn't allow fine adjustment of the level at full volume. This was done with a 1hHz signal.

Unloaded: 2.07v
Loaded with 10K resistor: 1.90v
Loaded with a 1k resistor: 1.09v
Loaded with a 600 ohm resistor: 0.83.

Really early head units put out 500mv then they went up to 1v then 2v and then a few at 4v or even higher.
Of course that assumes the programme material is recorded at the maximum level that a cd can handle.
I have an Autosound 2000 test disc that has test tones on it that is recorded at the limit of a cd and used it to measure the output of my 14 year old Alpine 7620 and whilst I can't remember the exact output voltage it was well in excess of 350mv using a cro and a fluke mulitmeter and yes it was loaded with a 14 year old Alpine 3331 equaliser.
Now maybe the sources you contacted are referring to an averaged level of an average music cd but certainly not a cd recorded near to the max.
Just a thought what sort of input level do the Tru and the Zed amps accept?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.