Soundstream repairs/upgrades?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have two old Soundstream d200s and one of them has crispy artifacts in the output as well as mechanical sizzling/chirping coming from the chassis. Anyone know of common failure points for these amps?

I've also heard of upgrades for the power supplies in these units. Anyone have any info on these?

Thanks,

Brian

These amps are very straight forward and once restored to normal proper ops that have a very good reputation. Due to its age upgrades are possible through simple parts replacements.

Todays caps are better and smaller, and Fets have been improved for better power handling.

I would tend to make accurate restoration to the amp as parts are readily available from JandR electronics

Start with the big capacitors at each channels outputs and the 12 volt side caps. this will most likely bring the power back to clean and possibly stable levels.
caps die of old age just sitting on the shelf waiting to be used, so yes they die in service as well, and in harsh environments well its just a no brainer to replace and upgrade the weak links that fail easily.

Next do a check out of the power supply noise levels with a scope just to garner info at this point.

I would then do a channel check out by measuring the DC offsets on each channel at the output read the DC voltage present at the speaker terminals with a meter, and write it down somewhere. this is done with the amp turned on, and no rca signals and no speaker load.

If you want to lower the DC offsets then i would look at replacement of the two main culprits, the input dual transistors, and the output Darlington devices.

I would not try to upgrade any of the silicon devices unless you have the Engineering savy to resolve the issues you might be introducing to the amp design.

I would only replace those things I understand to be bad with age and leave it at that. The main reason is this is a engineered device and major alterations require rethinking of proper operating parameters and unless you have the time and ability then your just putting yourself into a mess of trouble and headaches.

Best of luck on the rework:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.