Amp Shuts off or blows fuses - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th July 2007, 06:03 AM   #1
Oddy88 is offline Oddy88  United States
diyAudio Member

Angry Amp Shuts off or blows fuses

i have a 1000w 2 channel diesel audio amp powering two 1000w sony xploid subs in a box pulling about 13.5 average on capacitor and with it turned up to around 14-20 which is reasonably loud, the amp will get hot and just shut off then u gotta pop the head unit out real quick and push it back in, and sometimes it will come back on...i dont know if it shuts down because of heat or something else,one thing im not sure about is the amp and capacitator are sharing the same exact ground location,im not sure if thats ok or not...also the fuse block off the battery isnt fastened down to where it will stay put all the time,btw stock car speakers and pioneer head unit which has to be set on like -3 on bass settings...on the side of the amp theres bass boost, lpf and a few other setting i know nothing about...thanks for any help
Old 28th July 2007, 04:55 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Do you have the speakers wired so that they present an acceptable ohm load to the amp?
Old 28th July 2007, 06:03 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

they might need to be wired in series.
Old 30th July 2007, 08:48 AM   #4
Dan2 is offline Dan2  South Africa
diyAudio Member

does the amp only shut off when you play it loud?? also have you connected it in bridge mode? U also have to sort out the battery connection - if its not connected well then that could also cause problems.
Old 30th July 2007, 11:32 PM   #5
Oddy88 is offline Oddy88  United States
diyAudio Member

yea only when its loud it shuts off,or basically when the bass starts hitting hard...see i was wandering if it could be that the amp ground wire and the battery capacitor ground wire are both grounded together on top eachother,and its a small bolt hodling it in...so i figure if maybe i separate the ground and use washers to cover the whole loop connectors...
Old 2nd August 2007, 07:47 AM   #6
Dan2 is offline Dan2  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Well a better connection can only improve the situation, so do it anyway. the next thing to check is your speaker wiring. each sub should be connected to its own channel (left channel to one sub, right channel to the other one). You can check this by setting the balance to one side - then only 1 sub should be running. If the amp is connected in bridge mode, both channels of the amp will be used together, effectively making it a single channel and both subs will be connected together. Bridge mode is supposed to be used when you only have one sub, so in your case it won't work too well.
Old 2nd August 2007, 09:33 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Perry Babin
Do you have the speakers wired so that they present an acceptable ohm load to the amp?

Hide this!Advertise here!