linking Class D amps - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th July 2007, 05:31 PM   #1
coki is offline coki  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Default linking Class D amps

What is the purpose in linking 2 class D amps? How can it be done and what type of cable is needed?
Old 20th July 2007, 08:51 PM   #2
luka is offline luka  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to luka
Hi

It is probably to sync amps clocks, one being master, one slave
What amps do you have?
Old 21st July 2007, 01:08 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Luka, your thinking too hard in the wrong forum! This is car audio, dumb it down a bit.

"Linking" amps in the car audio world can be for bridged or parallel operation, or for matching gains. The process is specific to the amps being "linked" and is not just a general function of class-d car amps.

Coki, check the manufacturers website to see if the amps your interested in are even "linkable".
Old 21st July 2007, 01:20 PM   #4
luka is offline luka  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to luka
Hi

Maybe you are right, maybe I should take one step back to see whole picture again
Old 21st July 2007, 01:45 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by luka
Hi

Maybe you are right, maybe I should take one step back to see whole picture again
Yes, I think your eyes are stuck in macro mode from all those SMD.
Old 21st July 2007, 05:32 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Guys, this is what I am trying to do. I want to use 2 POWERBASS class D amp to drive 4 subs (2 subs each amp). The Manual say 2 amps can be linked and I wonder what it is for. Gain matching will make a lot of sense.

The amp have a socket like the phone/ modem. Is this where I link the amps together? Do I have to connect the RCA input to both amps?
Old 21st July 2007, 05:39 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Guys, this is what I am trying to do. I want to use 2 POWERBASS class D amp to drive 4 subs (2 subs each amp). The Manual say 2 amps can be linked and I wonder what it is for. Gain matching will make a lot of sense.

The amp have a socket like the phone/ modem. Is this where I link the amps together? Do I have to connect the RCA input to both amps?
Old 21st July 2007, 06:56 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

OK, I might have caused a bit of confusion here as I have been out of the car audio loop for awhile.....

In the case of your PowerBass amps, "linking" would indeed be to match the gains. This is not to be confused with "strapping" which is used to bridge/parallel and usually requires connecting the amps at the outputs with additional wire.

The PowerBass XA series can be "strapped", while the ASA can be "linked".

The PowerBass website is minimal to say the least. There are no product manuals or instructions on their site whatsoever. I suggest you send an email to tech@powerbassusa.com. I'm sure they will answer your question.

Hide this!Advertise here!