Newbie Here

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Im a newbie to box building.

I have tried using that program for box building. I didn't know how. lol

Anyways, I really want to buy 2 or 3 12inch w3 subs from JL audio.

I want to build a ported box.

If possible Can I do 3 subs in a ported box?

Can someone dig up some dimensions for me. I would measure my trunk but my car is at the shop at the moment. :(

The car is a 96 vw golf 2dr

Also, Is there any inequivalent sub woofers to the w3s that are cheaper?

The safest is to use a box design provided by JL Audio for the sub you are using. You can vary the box dimensions as long as you keep the volume constant. If JL doesn't provide dimensions for a 3-driver box, just divide the box into three sections and make each of them have the same volume and port as a single driver needs.

Two drivers may be easier to match to your amp than three. I mean, if your amp is 2 ohm stable, then two 4 ohm subs in parallel will give you 2 ohms. With 3 subs you'd either have to go with 8 ohm subs in parallel (and give up some potential amp power since it'll only be loaded to 2.7 ohms), take a chance that the amp won't mind 1.33 ohm loads, or get special 6 ohm subs that'll give a 2 ohm load (if JL makes those).

Jebomater said:
Also, Is there any inequivalent sub woofers to the w3s that are cheaper?

First of all, why JL w3's? Second, why 2-3 mediocre 12" subwoofers, versus a single 15" or 18" that could EASILY meet the performance of these 2 or 3 JL woofers, if not outperform them in a much smaller enclosure?? In fact, outperforming a pair of these woofers with a single larger subwoofer with smaller space requirements would actually be very easy to do. And for less money! So, in other words, going by your statements.. my suggestion is that before you go trying to measure the back of your VW to jump on the JL bandwagon, let's try to figure out what it is you really want to obtain from this system, and then consider your options, as I'm thinking you haven't really even observed what's available? ..Much less actually modeled these woofers you speak of.

And, just out of curiosity, which w3's are you talking about? 12W3v2-D2, 12W3v2-D4, or 12W3v2-D6? Or, 12W3v3-2, 12W3v3-4, or 12W3v3-8?? What amplifier will you be using in this setup?

Since I don't know which exact W3 you're talking about, and don't feel like modeling 6+ subwoofers at the moment, I'll just start off with a few other general recommendations for you to consider..

Actually, I just entered the Thiele-Small params for the 12W3v2-D2 in WinISD, and it suggested a 5.2 cubic foot box at 22Hz for flattest response! On top of that, looking at the rest of the specs for this woofer, I really don't see why you're even considering them? Much less 2-3 of them in a vented alignment?? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing you weren't planning on building a 15+ cubic foot vented enclosure for your VW?

On the other hand, a single CSS subduction SDX15 with XBL^2 and 30mm linear xmax in a 6.5 cubic foot enclosure tuned to 20Hz is simply awesome.. and for $270 shipped!!
http://www.acoustic-visions.com/~acoustic/products/subwoofer_drivers/CSS_SDX15/
http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=SDX15
http://www.creativesound.ca/

..This is currently one of my favorite subwoofer drivers at the moment, and simply CAN'T be beat for the money!

Another GREAT subwoofer for a ridiculously cheap price would be the Mach 5 Audio IXL-18.4 for only $210! Their freq response is almost identical to the SDX15 in a 7.2 cubic foot vented enclosure, so... similar performance (if not better with the SDX15) but taking up a tad bit more space.
www.mach5audio.com

I don't normally recommend sticking these woofers in ported boxes in a vehicle right from the start, as when taking all the massive cabin gain into consideration..you'd probably be more than satisfied with either of them in a small sealed enclosure (ie: around 3 ft^3 sealed or so). But, going by your statements, you'll probably seek all you can get from these drivers, regardless of how good it really sounds or how loud it already is, and regardless of whether or not your car is falling apart from all the vibration from subsonic bass frequencies at high SPL's, etc. :rolleyes: :D

The woofers mentioned above are just a couple of suggestions regarding the very best of what all is currently available right now, and I highly recommend you consider them, as well as others. Of course, Fi car audio has their robust lineup as well, not to mention the owner teamed up with Ascendant Audio, and they're about to release a new line of products. However, I've modeled all of the new products that Ascendant is about to release, and I can't say I'm all that impressed. But then again, I own 4 Ascendant Avalanche XBL^2 15's, and I haven't seen any of their products since the good 'ole Avalanche (and before dropping XBL^2) come anywhere close to beating them in performance for the money, among other aspects.

Bottom line, you have tons of options available to you. I suggest you take them into consideration before buying into something and screwing yourself.

Like i said i am a newbie, Thanks for your post, it really has made me look at things differently, I don't have a bunch of space in my car, so a smaller enclosure is required.

Basically, all im looking for out of my subs is for them to hit really hard when i want them to. I listen to all kinds of music, I don't turn my current subs up all the time, its for only when i feel like having my back massaged :) or when i listen to some rap :D

With one of those 15" what amp would you match it with?

Or maybe even that 18"... But i dont know if i have 7cu of space available in my trunk!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.