to port or not to port

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i recently purchased a Cerwin-Vega 12" V-max sub. it is a dual 2 ohm speaker that can handle 600 rms..(not too shabby imho) it will be driven by a Cerwin-Vega EXL 1000D that puts out 500 rms...my friend let me put it in his ported box, in which it slammed, or should i keep the speaker in the sealed box that i build to CV air space specs even though it isn't as loud, and doesn't seem to be as responsive to my broad range of music taste....i know box type is generally personal preference, but any insight that yall could give me would be great..

CV doesn't seem to give any T/S parameters for their drivers, which is pretty much a must-have IMO. Try calling them maybe? Although I wouldn't be surprised if they refused to give you any pertinent information. :rolleyes:

IMO, if you want the BEST sound from a subwoofer in a vehicle, large ported enclosures usually aren't necessary, mainly due to the massive cabin gain. In fact, the best setup I've ever heard was IB with the back seat removed, and other's opinions seem to confirm this.

Anyway, let us know how it works out when you need further help. But until you get some fairly accurate T/S specs to toy around with, any success with this project is just a shot in the dark.

CERWIN-VEGA!
Customer Service and Technical Support
Monday-Friday 8am-5pm MST
Phone: 1-480-838-9422
Fax: 1-480-491-1201

Shipping Address:
Attn: Customer Service Department
6965 S. Priest Drive
Suite 5
Tempe, AZ 85283

Yep, I'd try sealed first with this one..
*edit* - But as far as the woofer itself goes, vented is just as doable.. Just thought I'd make that clear.

I kept trying to figure out why WinISD was giving me a crazy EBP of like 500-600, but soon realized that CV put a typo in their own PDF, lol. QES is .52, not .052!..which is impossible anyway. Afterwards, we get an EBP of 51.9. Anyhoo, for the given T/S, WinISD suggests a sealed enclosure of .717 ft^3 (20.3 l) for a .71 Q with an F3 of around 41 Hz, and -10dB at 24 Hz. If you ever get stuck on wanting to try ported afterwards, WinISD suggests a 1.507 ft^3 (42.7 l) enclosure at 23.61 Hz for flattest response with an F3 of about 22 Hz, and -10dB at 18 Hz. Group delay peaks at 32.83ms @ 21.26 Hz. Of course, this is all disregarding the 12 dB/octave cabin gain, which plays a very significant role in the final response of the system. And being an extended cab pick-up truck, the gain will even be slightly higher.

Hope this helps.

~ Brandin

Nah, not really. I've always leaned towards the underdogs who's products don't get the attention they deserve, as well as those who offer outstanding products for very reasonable prices...although those two characteristics usually go together, and that's when I become a 'big fan'. :) In contrast, CV has always been pretty much the opposite IMO, along with a billion other mainstream manufacturers out there.

But yeah, I clearly remember hearing a Stroker at least once, was a long time ago though...the original old school Stroker. Its sound was very similar to a dozen or so chimpanzees beating on a wood table, or something along those lines. Actually, I guess it sounded very much like a big efficient pro driver with a lack of extension in a massive enclosure crammed in a car, which is essentially what it was. Definitely wasn't my cup of tea. It "pounded" around 40+ Hz, but that was about it. I can't even imagine what it'd sound like in a home environment. Much less low freq extension for sure.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.