diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Car Audio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/car-audio/)
-   -   2 quick questions about PG Ti amps (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/car-audio/104770-2-quick-questions-about-pg-ti-amps.html)

valterdaw 6th July 2007 02:45 PM

2 quick questions about PG Ti amps

My repaired PG amps still works great, however, I just can't sit idling :) If someone can help me with 2 quick questions, I will greatly appreciate it:

- How to set bias and how much of it should be for PG Titanium amps. There special pads for bias setting, and when you increase bias, voltage on this pads decreases :confused: My amps are currently severely under-biased...

- 3 ultra-bright blue LED's - what is a good replacement for them? No, I am not upgrading LED's, they just burnt out :D

Thank you!

1moreamp 8th July 2007 04:29 AM

If your a stickler for detail call PG and ask for parts and pay their $3.00 each for three of those low output Blue or Red LEDs they use:)

valterdaw 8th July 2007 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by justonemoreamp
If your a stickler for detail call PG and ask for parts and pay their $3.00 each for three of those low output Blue or Red LEDs they use:)
Thank you for reply! But is there any other option for blue ones ;) ??? Ok, LED's I can replace with something anyways, but any insight about bias? Something is going wrong with my tweets...

1moreamp 8th July 2007 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by valterdaw

Thank you for reply! But is there any other option for blue ones ;) ??? Ok, LED's I can replace with something anyways, but any insight about bias? Something is going wrong with my tweets...

I use any GP LED that has the correct voltage drop. As of my last measurement it was 1.981 volts DC drop across that LED and it was RED. < this is for the channel LEDS.

The Blue ones on top are rigged across the + & - 15 volt rails so they see about 28 volts drop across them with a 100 ohm load current limit.

I have used LEDs from e-bay with a 5 to 7000 MCD rating but I find I must change the current limit by increasing the 100 ohm to about something in the 47,000 ohm area to get the brightness down to a acceptable level.

I still recommend buying them from PG to get a "perfect " match and keep that all PG look.

Bias is another area where there is no printed info.

I have my method, but I will not post it openly. If you want to hear it PM me. Its logical, It makes sense, and it works reliably but its my method, and others might not agree and I don't want to argue what works.:)

Perry Babin 9th July 2007 06:06 PM

Are you using the amp meter on your power supply as an indicator to determine when the outputs are being biased on?

valterdaw 11th July 2007 10:17 PM

Thanks a lot for your help! PM sent :D

1moreamp 15th July 2007 03:51 AM

PM answered. I hope it helped :)