Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th July 2007, 01:15 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Has anyone built an Amp from Boards?

Hello. I want to know if anyone has built an amplifier from any of the surplus boards available on ebay and other sources. I have a friend with lots of Amplifier boards surplus from Diamond and PPI. He puts them together sortof like Frankinstein and sells them. Has anyone on this forum done this with success? Pictures? I sold some surplus boards on ebay but never heard from the buyers. Thanks!
Old 10th July 2007, 12:44 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default frankin amps...

yes, i got most of the carver amps when they went out of business a few years back, and built up over 200 of them, many were full amps, some i just got a slab of alum. and direct mounted them, some i even put in other brand heat sinks. still have a few of them left and the M4120 and 4060 amps are still my favs for mids/tweets and use them in my customers big systems when they are willing to go with an older amp.
Old 12th July 2007, 12:41 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default amps

Thats great. When I tried to assemble the amps I had problems sourcing the parts (1990). Sil pads were not that common at the time. Now you can buy the material direct from the manufacturer or on ebay. Heatsinks were also a problem. Sometimes I could find them at recycling centers here in Phoenix.

Hide this!Advertise here!