Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st July 2007, 07:51 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to lancer1978
Default Visonik Help

HI there guys and gals(if applicable)
I have a Visonik V900HC that I aquired, and recenetly the power supply has called it quits along with 16 Transistors(sanken 2SC3856) I am wondering if anyone can forward me to a either a place that can replicate a power supply(transformer) or how to rewind my own(I have tons of patience and time). I am a fairly newb newb, however am not afraid to get my hands dirty! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance and if theres anything I can post (pics, info etc) to make it easier Please just say the word!
http://ampguts.realmofexcursion.com/Visonik_V900HC/
Old 1st July 2007, 02:35 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

to rewind it just make you you note the direction of the winds, gauge of the wire, and the number of wraps or lenth..what ever is easier for you. then just duplicate it.
Old 1st July 2007, 04:10 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

^^is it really just that easy? I know a freind of mine told me to do the same thing! Just keep track of everything, including the twists of the wire etc.
Old 1st July 2007, 04:15 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

yes very easy. Im a newb (17 years old) and was able to fix a class d amp shown here under Audiobahn A18001Dt amp Help. If you want pics of my completed coil LMK.
Old 1st July 2007, 09:56 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks, I looked over your thread, doesn't seem to bad1
Old 1st July 2007, 11:09 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Why do you believe the transformer is defective?

Rewinding should be be done ONLY if you can confirm that the windings are shorted and the short can not be removed.
Old 2nd July 2007, 03:38 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I was told from a REpair place that the power supply and 16fets are done for, I rechecked the fets they are gone, but the power supply I would need to take them off the board to actually check them correct? What else would it be
Old 2nd July 2007, 04:30 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

What are you referring to when you say 'power supply'?
Old 2nd July 2007, 05:25 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

SEe thats where im lost, he wouldn't get specific and I was hoping to learn how to test more so before anything gets to far in, anyone care to show me a common problem (pic is easiest) and a way to test it?
Old 2nd July 2007, 05:46 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

In most amplifiers, the power supply is comprised of 40 or more components including resistors, transistors, transformers, inductors, capacitors... There is never an instance where all components are defective unless it's burned to a crisp in a fire or passed through a chipper/shredder.

Generally, when a power supply fails, the FETs fail. Sometimes the failed FETs destroy the driver resistors (connected to the first leg of the FETs) and the driver transistors.

Failure of the transformers is rare but it happens. Failure is generally due to shorted windings (sometimes intermittently shorted which can make troubleshooting difficult).

Since your amp had shorted output transistors, it's likely that the transformer is fine (unless you see enamel flaking off of it). The high current draw by the audio section likely destroyed the FETs in the power supply.

If you want to know more about the various parts of an amplifier, read through the amplifier page of my car audio site. Click the various parts of the amplifier (green board) and it will bring you to the respective pages that will provicde more details.
http://www.bcae1.com/amplfier.htm

Hide this!Advertise here!