Visonik Help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HI there guys and gals(if applicable)
I have a Visonik V900HC that I aquired, and recenetly the power supply has called it quits along with 16 Transistors(sanken 2SC3856) I am wondering if anyone can forward me to a either a place that can replicate a power supply(transformer) or how to rewind my own(I have tons of patience and time). I am a fairly newb newb, however am not afraid to get my hands dirty! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance and if theres anything I can post (pics, info etc) to make it easier Please just say the word!
http://ampguts.realmofexcursion.com/Visonik_V900HC/

In most amplifiers, the power supply is comprised of 40 or more components including resistors, transistors, transformers, inductors, capacitors... There is never an instance where all components are defective unless it's burned to a crisp in a fire or passed through a chipper/shredder.

Generally, when a power supply fails, the FETs fail. Sometimes the failed FETs destroy the driver resistors (connected to the first leg of the FETs) and the driver transistors.

Failure of the transformers is rare but it happens. Failure is generally due to shorted windings (sometimes intermittently shorted which can make troubleshooting difficult).

Since your amp had shorted output transistors, it's likely that the transformer is fine (unless you see enamel flaking off of it). The high current draw by the audio section likely destroyed the FETs in the power supply.

If you want to know more about the various parts of an amplifier, read through the amplifier page of my car audio site. Click the various parts of the amplifier (green board) and it will bring you to the respective pages that will provicde more details.
http://www.bcae1.com/amplfier.htm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.