wierd amp problem - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th June 2007, 03:13 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question wierd amp problem

i just got a phonix gold xs4300 off ebay to put into my son`s car.
well ups just beat the heck out of it.they left it sitting in driveway with the amp hanging out of the box,with a trail of packing material to where their truck must have been parked.well enuff of that.
i hooked it to my power supply to check it out.it won`t even let it put out any voltage(not the amp but my power supply).the reading across the pos and neg was only .635vdc.i`ve never even seen anything like this before.it like it`s trying to feedback the the power source.
the plastic speaker output block is broken and pushed to one side about 3/16".i haven`t even opened it up yet waiting to see what ups wants to do.but i sure i`ll keep it no matter what they want to do.
has anyone seen anything like this?
i`m no pro at this just a weekend hack.so any help would be great.
Old 30th June 2007, 08:57 PM   #2
KISS is offline KISS  United States
diyAudio Member

That's a carrier claim. Put a claim to UPS.

0.6V is a diode drop, so your power supply may be going into shutdown because it cannot handle the surge current at turn-on.

Go the car electrical system route, fused, of course.
Old 30th June 2007, 09:42 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Amp sounds damaged by previous owner, E-bay is famous for people dumping their troubles on others.
Check see if it was insured by the carrier maybe you might break even.

I fix PG amps so if I can be of help LMK. Your power supply is knuckling over due excessive current draw, a sure sign of trouble
Old 1st July 2007, 07:51 AM   #4
ppia600 is offline ppia600  United States
diyAudio Member

Or maybe the amp's power supply mosfets are all shorted and they won't let your 12V power supply pass any voltage. Basically like connecting a nail across your 12V power supply leads.
Old 2nd July 2007, 12:09 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I'm not familiar with that particular model so I'm not sure this applies to your amp...

If you decide to pull the cover, be careful. On some of these amps, there's a fragile ribbon cable that connects the preamp board to the main board. The preamp board is connected to the bottom cover so if you pull the cover up too far, you risk tearing the ribbon.

Remove all of the knobs and screws from the front panel. Then there should be only a couple of snap-on mounting posts holding the back of the board.

If the amp only draws the voltage down AFTER you apply remote voltage, the output transistors are the most likely suspect. If the power supply is drawn down with no remote voltage applied, the power supply transistors or the reverse-protection diode (may not be used in this amp) could be the problem.

Hide this!Advertise here!