diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Car Audio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/car-audio/)
-   -   Alpine Cd Changer Pinout (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/car-audio/104239-alpine-cd-changer-pinout.html)

N-Channel 27th June 2007 03:43 AM

Alpine Cd Changer Pinout

OK Alpine gurus, here's a good one: I have a 7618 HU that has both the 8-pin DIN connector and RCAs for the cd changer input. I want to be able to disable the L&R signals coming through the DIN connector and activate the RCA inputs instead. The reason id that I want to be able to connect them to the L+R outputs of a DVD player for a Mobile theater.

So my question is this: Which pin do I play with to do this? And what do I do? Pull it up to V+? Ground it? Pull up with a resistor? Ground w/resistor? Help! :confused: :confused: Thanks a bunch!

Steve

junglejuice 24th July 2007 09:20 AM

Hi, I don't know if it is as simple as that but I would love to know myself if you find out.....

whiterabbit 25th July 2007 06:48 PM

http://pinouts.ru/Home/alpine_cdchanger_pinout.shtml

you can always buy an 8 pin DIN connector and use those inputs directly, too :). Just in case the radio is looking for the DIN signal rather than the RCA signal.

N-Channel 26th July 2007 03:38 AM

Originally posted by...ME!: So my question is this: Which pin do I play with to do this? And what do I do? Pull it up to V+? Ground it? Pull up with a resistor? Ground w/resistor? Help! Thanks a bunch! ]

I guess I need to clarify my question: Which pin do I play with? The Data-bus Pin? Leave the L & R inputs open? (assuming the head unit's input section can auto-sense which inputs are being use and switch accordingly).

I am clear on the pin-out of the 8-pin DIN connector, just not clear on which pin to use? (and how to use it: pull-up, pull-up w/resistance, pull-down, or pull-down w/resistance, or leave open).

whiterabbit 26th July 2007 04:10 AM

First and foremost, I would investigate the function of the unmodified alpine unit. Does it allow for source switching without a source attached? Or is only CD and radio enabled without a CD changer hooked up?

If you can select a CD changer source or an AUX source, then it should be much easier than performing deeper modifications.

I know that for some older radios, external sources must be selected in a menu rather than an "autosensing" kind of feature.

junglejuice 26th July 2007 08:37 AM

I personally have the 7620 which is the upper model to the unit you are trying to use and as I said above I don't think it will work with the method that you are proposing but if it proves possible I would love to know how.....

N-Channel 26th July 2007 06:27 PM

White-

I assume you mean "Tape and radio" w/o the cd changer connected (as opposed to "CD and radio", right? If so, you are correct: the CD functions are not available when the changer is disconnected.

Juice-

What is a 7620? I have never seen this model. I know that Alpine was famous for coming out with some pretty kicka$$ models and not advertising them. Result, no on e bought them because they didn't know that they existed. Do you have and pics of them? if so, please please please post or send me an email.

guys-

I have come up with a stop-gap idea: place a switchbox inline with the changer feed to the head unit. Allowing all the lines EXCEPT the L, R, and Signal GND pass through, I would switch these lines with aux L&R RCA jacks, where I could feed in anything (DVD, MP3, etc.). Since this tap is before the volume & tone controls, it would be just like another input source. Thoughts?

junglejuice 28th July 2007 04:26 AM

The 7620 is the model above the 7618 and looks very similar in appearance and I have seen quite a few of these units in the comp seen when they were current.
I know people in the industry that still regard this model as the best radio/cassette that Alpine ever made!!!
I will see if I can dig up a pic, I still have the catalogue of this series showing both models.
With your idea I think that you would need to have cd's loaded in the changer and spinning for it to work but try it and find out and post your results.
Cheers, Junglejuice...

N-Channel 28th July 2007 05:46 AM

Yup. Will do. May take some time, though, 'cuz it will mean doing a pc board, and all the components on it, too.

The Rug Doctor 29th July 2007 07:41 PM

I'll look into it tomorrow, I have a 7618r running with a 5957s changer and a 3900 dac. (Just got hold of a Momo/Alpine steering wheel too - remember the one with the remote in its centre? :cool:

It\'s in the wifes car, and she is back tomorrow, so I\'ll have a play around then, I do remember a blitzsafe adaptor I have doing something I just want to check which one!

Rod.