Alpine Cd Changer Pinout

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
CD Shuttle Conrtol - Solution

Juice-

OK, I have played with the pin-outs of the 8-pin DIN cable and have come up with the following: The only two wires that allow the CD player operation to happen on either a 7618 or a 7392 are the Databus and Databus Ground wires. Of course, power needs to be going to the shuttle for it to work. Also, as I connected all the wires except the (L), (R) and audio ground, I found that the RCA jacks labeled "TO CD CHANGER" are active whenever the head unit is in the CD mode. So, I am thinking, put an interrupt in line with the CD shuttle cable for the (L) & (R) audio feeds, and have an RCA extension cable plugged into the "CD CHANGER" RCAs, ready to plug into any audio source: VCR (why bother anymore), DVD player, iPod (i-anything), or my 2M-440 dualbander. This way, I don't have to put new RCA jacks on the "switchbox", just use already existing ones on the head unit.

I will post some pics in the next few days, I promise! And as soon as I get the whole system in, I will post pics of the whole thing.

Cheers,

Steve

I have completed the first of two line-level switchers. The first one uses a 2-pole rotary switch to select between CD Shuttle, Radio, & AUX input. I will snap some pics and upload them this week.

The second one will go in my car and use a small relay with remote-located switch&blue LED. (It ain't cool unless it has a blue LED. :D ) I have the pc board almost complete and expect to have it done later this week. Pics on that also, when the complete circuit is done.

I have completed the first of two line-level switchers. The first one uses a 2-pole rotary switch to select between CD Shuttle, Radio, & AUX input. I will snap some pics and upload them this week.

The second one will go in my car and use a small relay with remote-located switch&blue LED. (It ain't cool unless it has a blue LED. :D ) I have the pc board almost complete and expect to have it done later this week. Pics on that also, when the complete circuit is done.

So is there any updates on this????

Hi 'Juice,

Sorry, this fell through the cracks BIG TIME! Since then, I got my first MP3 player (NOT an iPod) and LOVE it. 10GB stores a LOT of music. Couple that to either iTunes or Amazon, and I can find every obscure song I ever heard, loved & subsequently forgot about! So I cut the whole switching thing short and just did a DPDT toggle switch with the Auxiliary input being a 5-Pin DIN. The cord that plugs into this goes to the MP3 player.

When I want to listen to it, I select CD mode, turn the volume up to -10 (range from -76 to 0) and switch over from CD audio to the MP3. Sounds Great! I'll go out tomorrow and snap some pics of the installation, but since it was a pain-in-the-a$$ to take the console apart to get it in in the first place, I'll just snap pics of the visible part only.

Stay Tuned.......

-Steve

Hi N-Channel,
This is my first post. I just got a 96 Land Rover Discovery which came with a 7618 with the same 8pin + RCA lines as your unit and a CHM-S620 changer. I would like to plug in a AUX feed (iPod etc) to the RCA lines.

From what I can tell from reading your thread, the RCA inputs are only active if the L, R and audio ground in the DIN cable are interupted.

When you got your MP3 player, why did you not continue with your original plan to make a switched interrupt and plug the MP3 into the RCA inputs?

For me to complete my project, is it easier to make that switch or use your alternate solution?

Alpine 7618 Saga

Hi Guys,

Lot has happened since my last post. Two family deaths (those really screw things up!), and bought a new car. Honda- gave to neighbor. Ran excellent when I gave it to them. Now it just sits in garage. Took the 7618 out & replaced it with a 7392S (same cage & pin-out as the 7618). I have a bunch of old-school Alpine stuff I'm looking to sell off. LOVE the stuff, just moving into a new chapter in my life now.

"New" car is a 2010 Escape- has the Synch and bells & whistles. Not gonna put anything aftermarket in. Not even gonna try....

The in-line switch thing did work excellently. No noise, no nothing. Kept it real simple. I just found the secondinput switcher I made. Can't believe how over-built I made it. Anyway, has 8-pin DIN in & out (pass-thru) and 5-pin DIN input for the Aux. Separate 1/8" 3-cond. jack for rem. switch (V+, relay, and Gnd from really cool blue LED). Anyone interested, let me know. Thanks,

-Steve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.