Cleaning Up Old Metal Chassis?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Has anyone ever cleaned the chassis of a classic car radio? If so what products work for you to remove the blemishes and "old" appearance of them? I've used Brasso,Old No.7 chrome/metal polish, Tarnite etc. and they all work to an extent. Just curious as to another product which might do a better job?

Thanks!

It sounds as if you've done all that you can without a respray.

You've cleaned the surface, removed a thin layer of the surface finish and what lies underneath is still affected by years of U.V. photodegradation and other effects associated with age.

What's the problem? Does it look faded, dull, discoloured,uneven or dirty?

Regards,
Martin. :)

Hi Martin,

I just came up with an idea! A wire wheel for my drill motor ought to clean that chassis up some more. :)

Yeah, after I clean the case there are still "age" marks in the metal. Stuff that won't clean up with my regular metal cleaning polishes. The wire wheel would take the metal down some to hopefully take those "age" marks out.

I don't think the chassis was painted originally. I'm just taking it back to bare metal then I'll coat it with WD-40 or something to protect it

The age marks I mentioned are left once rust has been removed etc.. It leaves dark spots on the metal. I'm thinking the wire brush would remove them. What do you think? Worth a try, eh?

Perry Babin said:
The original metal was likely galvanized. This (link below) should return it to a near original look and protect it much better than WD-40 or similar coatings. You'd need to clean the surface with a strong solvent like acetone to remove the silicones/waxes left by the cleaners you used.

http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm_product_id=28&SBL=1

Awesome, thanks Perry I'll check the site!

Sonusthree said:
It sounds as if you've done all that you can without a respray.

You've cleaned the surface, removed a thin layer of the surface finish and what lies underneath is still affected by years of U.V. photodegradation and other effects associated with age.

What's the problem? Does it look faded, dull, discoloured,uneven or dirty?

Regards,
Martin. :)

Perry Babin said:
The original metal was likely galvanized. This (link below) should return it to a near original look and protect it much better than WD-40 or similar coatings. You'd need to clean the surface with a strong solvent like acetone to remove the silicones/waxes left by the cleaners you used.

http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm_product_id=28&SBL=1

Hey Martin and Perry, The more I clean this chassis the more I'm starting to realize that maybe it WAS painted from the beginning. The least these Americans could do to protect the radios. Too bad they couldn't have done something to keep the cowls from leaking rain water and car washes INTO the radio to begin with! :D
I'm going to find that cold galvanized compound Friday and give that a shot to finish this chassis off. I'll let you guys know the outcome.

Thanks again!
Steve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.