Ppi Pc450 - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st June 2007, 01:33 AM   #11
Shaft is offline Shaft  United States
diyAudio Member

So if I replaced it with the TIP42, what will happen? It will eventually blow?
Old 21st June 2007, 07:09 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

If you use a TIP42, it could blow before the end of the first song if you drive it hard into a 2 ohm load. If you only use it to listen to talk radio at a low to moderate level, the TIP42s may survive for years.

Order the correct parts. The total will likely be less than $10 including shipping.

http://www.mouser.com/search/Product...key863-2N6491G

http://www.mouser.com/search/Product...key863-2N6488G
Old 21st June 2007, 07:31 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

You got a point there. The channel that has the blown transistors I use for bass, 4 ohm mono <which is the same as 2 ohm stereo>. I could swap the chips from channel 1, since those I would only run 4 ohm stereo for mids and highs.

We'll just see. The TIPs came in today so I'll play with it after work. If I things don't work our right, oh well. The fun of it is learning how this whole thing works.

Thanks for all you're help. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 21st June 2007, 07:59 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

If you were lucky, only the outputs failed with no damage to drivers or the power supply. If it blows again, it may do MUCH more damage. You can use the 42s to determine if there is other damage to that channel (defective drivers...) but I wouldn't do more than that.
Old 22nd June 2007, 05:05 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

I put the 42's in and it is still doing the same thing. I wonder if there is some power supply damage.

I e-mailed one of our technicians that works in the repair center and will see what else he can tell me.

Of course the easiest and cheapest thing for me would be to employee purchase me an Eclipse amp.
Old 25th June 2007, 04:42 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

It may have defective drivers or the 88s could be defective (but not completely shorted). If you're interested in learning a bit more, you may still be able to repair it. If you simply want a working amp and can afford to buy a new one, that may be a better option for you.
Old 30th June 2007, 04:26 PM   #17
ppia600 is offline ppia600  United States
diyAudio Member

Wow, I didn't know the nte cross would be crappier. They (nte) always brag about their crosses being as good or better than the original. Is this only in some cases? I do notice the cases of the nte crosses looking poorly made sometimes.
Old 30th June 2007, 11:47 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ppia600
Wow, I didn't know the nte cross would be crappier. They (nte) always brag about their crosses being as good or better than the original. Is this only in some cases? I do notice the cases of the nte crosses looking poorly made sometimes.

What would say if your were selling crap ?

Do as Perry says and use original parts only and your life will become a smoother trail. I have been doing this myself for over 20 years and both Perry and I know from real life experiences original parts rarely let you down
Old 1st July 2007, 08:51 AM   #19
ppia600 is offline ppia600  United States
diyAudio Member

I've repaired a few amps, maybe thirty in the time I've been learning. Most of the time they were simple problems like bad solder joints or outputs or power supply transistors. I like working on american made amps (the older ones) and the alpine, sony and kenwood seem to be pretty straight forward and easy to repair.

Hide this!Advertise here!