IRF640 vs IRF640N

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I hope someone has input, or perhaps experiance with this.

I have a Fusion Amp with 1 bad IRF640 output MOSFET.

Power supply was destroyed and after hours of endless troubleshooting, got it running.

Problem is I have all kinds of 640N's and NO 640's..

Whats the opinion of mixing these?

I know the 640N is the lead free version...

Tom

Theres a simple fet tester over in the Pass forum section that will let you at least try to match ON characteristics enough that you will at least be in the ball park when replacing Mosfets in array's.

I have never found date codes that reliable as a matching guide, but others here disagree with me on this saying it has worked well for them. So its sorta a question of time and money.

Guess I am old fashioned about matching semi's. I would at least try to get the nomenclature the same and the same maker of course, Or just replace the whole bunch with the same exact part from the same maker for symmetry if nothing else. IRF-640's are fairly cheap in quantity's that I buy. They cost like 18 cents each purchased in bulk quantity's.

Good luck on your repairs :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.