65 Motorola AM Car Radio Mechanical Question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th June 2007, 11:31 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 65 Motorola AM Car Radio Mechanical Question

Hi guys,

I have an old AM Motorola car radio. On the tuning stem coming from the radio there is a slotted plastic piece which accepts the knob backer for the tuner. On this radio half of the plastic piece is broken so it won't hold the knob backer on. I've removed the whole shaft to try to remove the plastic piece to replace it but it doesn't come off. Is anyone familiar with this radio and ever experienced this before? I've taken a picture for illustration. As always any and all suggestions and help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shaft 1.jpg (30.8 KB, 50 views)
Old 16th June 2007, 12:31 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DigitalJunkie
Is the plastic piece fixed,or does it rotate?

I've seen 'dual shaft' pots like that used in older car radios alot,the volume/tuning on the 'center' knobs,and the tone/balance on the 'outer' knobs,like a concentric setup.
On all the pots I've seen like that though,the second shaft was metal(brass/bronze?) and not plastic.
Old 16th June 2007, 12:48 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi DJ,

It's exactly as you described. The tuner shaft (outside part) is plastic and it rotates. The volume is brass and much sturdier and it rotates also. This radio is from a 1965 Mustang and over the years that plastic piece became semi-brittle from being exposed to the elements. I'm just unable to remove that "plastic" piece to replace it once I can find a replacement. There is a little metal clip that I thought would free up that plastic piece once removed, but it doesn't seem to. Any ideas? It baffles me.

Thanks again,
Steve
Old 16th June 2007, 01:00 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hmm..
It's been a while since I've taken a pot like that apart..
IIRC,there may be a clip on the shaft,on the back of the pot?
Or maybe it's got the folded tabs holding it together,like the usual suspects?

It seems like you should be able to find a suitable replacement for it,I'm just not sure where... I think I have a few similar pots in my junkbox,if you think they'd be any help in your repair efforts..I'll have to look..(remind me tomorrow )
Old 16th June 2007, 01:10 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hey DJ,

Here's a picture of the clip that goes on the back of the shaft. Hope this helps.

S
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bracket 003.jpg (69.4 KB, 31 views)
Old 17th June 2007, 01:51 AM   #6
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Hi.

If you cannot fix it, I see quite a few mid-60's Motorolas advertised on EBAY.

You might get one cheap and make 1 good radio.

Andy
Old 17th June 2007, 03:44 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

That might not be a bad idea,really. Then you'd also have spare parts in case something else went awry.
Old 18th June 2007, 08:25 PM   #8
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

You might be able to pick up another radio of similar vintage and salvage that part. This is old car swap meet season, or an old auto wrecking yard should have a stack of radios someplace. There's various places that specialize in refurbishing old car radios: Google, or pick up an issue of Hemmings and check the ads.

Hide this!Advertise here!