Opinions on a few Head Units with USB support.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I really like the idea of the HU + USB HDD in my car and was wondering if anyone had opinions on the following (listed with my top pro and top con):

*Pioneer DEH-P6900UB
Pros: From what I've seen, the navigation and "boot" times are really good.
Cons: It's not double-din and it won't match my lighting. If I don't hear otherwise, I'll probably give this one a shot.

Alpine IDA-X001
Pros: From what I've seen on youtube the mp3 browsing is 2nd to none.
Cons: No CD bay.

Clarion DXZ775USB
Pros: Rear port. Color matching.
Cons: Can't find much info or many reviews, so it's a shot in the dark.

*JVC KW-GX700
Pros: I think this would look almost stock in my '03 Type S.
Cons: Another shot in the dark. Rumor has it, it only supports up to 10Gb.

Kenwood DPX-501
Pros: Less stock than the above, but still better looking than a single din. Positive reviews at crutch.
Cons: I'm really not sure how well browsing mp3 files would work on that screen.

If someone out there has another recommendation, I'm all ears (err... eyes?). I really like the double-din look in my car ('03 Acura RSX Type S), but having the lower bay free would let me hide my HD in there and maybe affix it with a lock or an Acura emblem. Also, I started to list "Price" as a con on some of those but realized if it's worth it, it's worth it. Still I'm not prepared to drop $1000 on a HU alone.

Oh and just to reiterate, I want to use a portable HDD, not just a flash drive, so load times and supported models are a factor.

well..i have the alpine I303...awesome..
i have two 8gig usb sticks..had 75 albums on one stick..and still had some room left..talking about taking your whole collection with you!
and..when hooked up to an ipod classic...deck lights up ipod light..but!! the ipod displays the ALPINE symbol across its screen....ultra cool!!!

Hello,

All I can tell you currently is that I will never, ever by a Clarion again.

14 months after purchased a nice ($150) head unit for my RAV4, it started losing sound intermittently. Took it apart and found half the pins on the audio amp chip were not soldered at all. Soldered them, checked everything I could and put it back together.

Three months later the CD player stops playing after about 10 minutes. Has consistantly done that since. Have cleaned the lens and checked things, sounds great for 10 minutes and then dies.

Parts were of decent quality and sounded good when it works, but reliable it is not... Going in the trash.

Some kind of tablet that's amenable to being mounted in-dash? You can get "pans" that are molded to fit iPads, and then mod them into the dash somehow with fiberglass and bondo. Watch the Youtube car audio show "Amplified" (they just happen to sell the pans and various interface components).

That newfangled Bluetooth APT-X audio is supposed to be good, and Sure Electronics has a relatively inexpensive receiver module that's sold on ebay ($27 shipped). OTOH, there's also some new WiFi connection that links directly from source to receiver (no access point or router in between), and IIRC PCM audio is supported. And then there's some new docking connector that'll support the equivalent of HDMI A/V, and hopefully make Android things as dock-friendly as the iThings. Or there's always the 3.5 mm stereo cable. I've never had a radio/head unit in my van; I just plugged a Discman or MP3 player directly into the active crossover.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.